Gareth Southgate

I'm not saying Southgate is a good tactician I am saying he was better than Hodgson, which you claim isn't true. Hodgson was a car crash. You can't say we were one result away from it being the same as Hodgson and not accept we were one result away from him winning a tournament, or two.

Football is about fine margins and the best team doesn't always win. Southgate was clearly not good enough tactically, and hasn't stopped England losing to better opposition, other than the win over Germany albeit a weakened version.

Onwards and upwards hopefully. Luckily you don't care either way despite investing so much time in England recently.

So a German side who were actually weaker so we haven't beaten better opposition.

Christ on a bike it's like pulling teeth

IIRC Spain didn't fire Luis Aragones after 2004 and 2006 and he went on to win 2008.

Aragones took over after Euro 2004. They lost in 2006 against a great French side, after that defeat he realised they needed to change the way they played, adopting a more possession-based (tika-taka) football that suited the players he had. They won Euro 2008 and his successor won the following World Cup and Euro's.

Southgate had no style of play to begin with, yet alone be able to change it to suit the players we have.

I may have got this wrong but im sure i read that most European countries have many more 5G facilities per person that in england. Kids are still playing on mud baths.

Im involved in kids football.
The club my son plays for is one of the largest youth clubs in england and has no 5G pitch. 1000+ kids in the club.
The area the club is in has one 5G pitch at a high school , one pitch in quite a large area.
My daughter plays for cheadle and gatley, never off the news lately with its kobi mainoo link, again a huge club and no 5G pitch. Spoke to one of the coaches the other day, they are working towards it but the £500k+ will take 10 years to raise.

There are more kids playing football than ever before , its bollocks that kids are at home playing play stations, they are playing footy! Girls, boys, they love it. But the facilities they play on are crap.
My daughter went 9 weeks without a game over winter because the grass pitches were screwed.

So when we talk about english players not being technical, maybe playing on mud baths doesnt help

Absolutely ridiculous we are still playing kids football in the Winter

Said it for years. Kids football should be a summer game

Do they still think all the kids are playing cricket in the Summer? The amount of games I played as a kid on pitches you couldn't pass the ball 10 yards along the ground was mental. And they wonder why we produced athletes not technically gifted footballers.

So a German side who were actually weaker so we haven't beaten better opposition.

Christ on a bike it's like pulling teeth

I said a weakened Germany not that they were weaker than us. Germany had our number in major tournaments since 1966 so beating them was a big result for England.

Agree that kids footy should be a summer sport, though as things stand, what with summer tournaments and ‘festivals’ they seem to be playing it half the summer too.

Remember reading how many touches Barca juniors had of the ball on average in one of their training sessions, then the next week at our kids training session asking a couple of the parents watching to do a touch count for their kids, whilst me and and the other fellas put on our usual session. Can’t remember the exact figures but it was something like 300 touches for Barca and about 100-110 max for our session (we’d all done our FA coaching licence etc).
The lads just wanted to play “a match” all the time iirc, and it was a real effort to get them (and the other coaches) to change.

Before he became manager Southgate worked for the FA trying to implement Brooking’s plan for development.
He went round the country trying to convince local FAs that under 11s should not be learning on full size pitches. Such was the opposition that on On one occasion he was physically threatened by a local club chair. It’s dinosaurs like this and lack of coaches and investment at grassroots compared to our European neighbours that is the problem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.