Gareth Southgate

But it's having the experience and understanding of a more physically demanding, quicker game. These things massively play into your tactics.

A boxer doesn't employ Steve from the local level boxing gym to train him to fight Floyd Mayweather, it's a completely different level of technical ability and you need someone who has real experience at a good level to come up with ways of tackling the skill set you're coming up against...

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just an unrealistic expectation to place on someone to jump up so far in levels at once. I'm certain not opposed to women managing men's teams if they get the opportunities to prove themselves through the levels, I'd quite like to see them given a chance at mens club level, why not?

It's not about them being women, it's about the levels they'd be trying to jump at once. I wouldn't want Frank Lampard as England manager because he hasn't proven anything at a good level in mens football, neither has a women's international manager.
That would exclude any male coach that didn’t play at the highest level too though.

That would exclude any male coach that didn’t play at the highest level too though.

I'm talking about coaching, not playing. Coaches don't need to have been great players. They need to prove they can coach, that's all.

I didn't think Southgate was good enough to get England over the line before it was proven he couldn't, even though he had coached at Premier league level.

Coaching players at a team that would get smoked by teenage boys is so far removed from being able to coach a team in the men's world cup. It's a completely different approach.

I'm talking about coaching, not playing. Coaches don't need to have been great players. They need to prove they can coach, that's all.

I didn't think Southgate was good enough to get England over the line before it was proven he couldn't, even though he had coached at Premier league level.

Coaching players at a team that would get smoked by teenage boys is so far removed from being able to coach a team in the men's world cup. It's a completely different approach.
But an international coach doesn’t have to have played at any level to be able to understand tactics. Mourinho has done pretty well out of not being able to play football, but managed to get his coaching across to his teams.

Forget that a coach may have coached another side. If they are able to get their point across to their team, then they can coach at any level.

But an international coach doesn’t have to have played at any level to be able to understand tactics. Mourinho has done pretty well out of not being able to play football, but managed to get his coaching across to his teams.

Forget that a coach may have coached another side. If they are able to get their point across to their team, then they can coach at any level.

Why do you keep talking about playing? I never once mentioned playing.

COACHING at the the level worse than under 15s academy level is so far removed from men's international level. It's absolutely unrealistic to expect someome to go from that level to the other.

That's all I'm saying. i'm not talking about playing. It's irrelevant whether you played like Zidane or Peter Kay.

Mourinho gained his knowledge working with people like Bobby Robson at Barcelona, but nobody then was asking him to manage Portugal and nor should they have been. Just like they shouldn't expect someome who manages a team who couldn't beat an U15 boys team to go head to head at a world cup with international managers.

Coaching...Coaching..

Get it?

COACHING at the the level worse than under 15s academy level is so far removed from men's international level. It's absolutely unrealistic to expect someome to go from that level to the other.

That's all I'm saying. i'm not talking about playing. It's irrelevant whether you played like Zidane or Peter Kay.

Coaching...Coaching..

Get it?
Anyone can coach. It’s about getting your point across to your set of players.

Mourinho gained his knowledge working with people like Bobby Robson at Barcelona, but nobody then was asking him to manage Portugal and nor should they have been. Just like they shouldn't expect someome who manages a team who couldn't beat an U15 boys team to go head to head at a world cup with international managers.

Coaching...Coaching..

Get it?
I think you're banging your head against a brick wall here.

Reactions: PPT

Coaching...Coaching..

Get it?

I think the point is that your argument is around the women's game being so far removed from the men's that you couldn't coach at that level, when ultimately it's 11 v 11 and the objective is the same so you should be able to coach at any level really. The women are playing against other elite women. It's a slower pace, it's less physical and there are nuances that make it different but the systems, style of play and tactics aren't dissimilar.

All pointless because your main point about social/cultural issues means it will not happen this time around.

I don’t think there’s a woman managing a men’s professional team at any level in England yet some are suggesting we should give the top job in England to one?

The mind boggles on here sometimes…

Re the gender thing, if I remember rightly, Murray's partnership with Mauresmo seemed to yield decent results despite their being a qualitative difference in the physicality of mens and women's tennis?

I don't see it happening any time soon but I'm not convinced that the relative differences in the men's and women's game is a barrier to it happening in the future. Cultural barriers would need to be broken down though.

Maybe as more women coach at all levels it's possible that a woman who has spent her coaching career in the men's game is more likely to make the leap than someone transitioning across from the women's game.

One for future days though. I'm more concerned about ending up with a famous ex pro who hasn't really achieved anything managerially being given the nod, because we have a bit too much of that already in the game here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.