Spain Manager sacked 1 day before World Cup

not got a clue mate, just checked and he was appointed the Sporting Director of the national team November last year.

His only Management role was with Real Oviedo in 2016 for a year
I think he was Del Bosque's assistant as well.

As I said earlier, show me anyone on here who said he would be sacked when the announcement was made. Incredible some people.
I don't think anyone thought they were so stupid to do it behind the Spanish FA backs. I doubt it would have been a problem if the Spanish FA were informed earlier about it. Now it just took them by surprise.

As I said earlier, show me anyone on here who said he would be sacked when the announcement was made. Incredible some people.
I said they would likely sack him, though not on here, as I’ve been more preoccupied with work than normal this week. It is an absolute shambles but not necessarily a shocking result to Spanish footballer supporters. As @Clercqs has pointed out, the fact that Lopetegui renewed and then not only secretly negotiated, but signed, a contract with Real was the suprise to everyone. That practically sealed his fate. And, due to some other recent infighting and power politics being played, the RFEF felt like they were backed in to a corner and had to act to save face and position. This has Perez’s grubby prints all over it—he is a selfish and short-sighted moron who could not bare to have the press speculate about Zidane’s successor through the tournament (and allow for conflict within Real as a result, which would destabilise his hold; Zidane leaving as he did had already weakened him).

It is a right mess all-around, and the Spanish media are rightly having a go at practically everyone involved.

I personally didn’t think we had much of a chance to get past the quarterfinals this year... now I would be happy with making it out of the group.

Luckily I still have England to carry my hopes...

Last edited:
Yeh, any idea if he's any good?
Inexperienced and not especially highly regarded from a player management and tactics standpoint.

This is a “we have to appoint someone” move in the extreme.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.