Sport washing

Cityfan1977

Ok you can not go on Twitter these days with out reading something about our human rights abusing owners.
What we can not deny is that UAE have poor human rights record. But City is own by a company but now everybody are just saying that we are owned by a state, but lets for argument say that City is lying about our ownership.
Why is then UAE buying City and whats the point owning a football team. Yes its Sport Washing they say its for UAE to get a better reputation world wide .

How is that going then ? Before 2008 then I did not have any knowledge of a human rights issue in UAE did you ?
It dos not make any sense. IT is a failure and the would have sold the club by now because it has people talking badly about them simply because the owned City.

And why on earth would they buy City, small global fan group compere to Liverpool and United.
Where is all the propaganda about City then ? only propaganda is about liverpool and United these days.
Where is our own TV station , where is our own newspaper ?

That is why I belief that UAE has nothing to do about City and it will be cleared very soon.
Am I way off here or ?

Your opening line: "...go on twitter...". Why the f**k would you do that? Twitter (and social media in general- certainly in respect of football) is a cesspit of the worst that humanity has to offer. It's (almost) wall to wall hatred, bitterness, anger and unfettered callousness, bordering on evil. It's mostly populated (in terms of the % of tweets) by people not clever enough to understand where they have got it wrong; unable (or unwilling) to express their feelings in any other way than malicious spitefulness; consumed by their inability to affect the events they take so much to heart; or, sometimes, intelligent and possibly erudite seemingly normal people who have succumbed to the temptation of ego massaging conceited, self-important distain. Or, in short, it's full of c***s. The fact that there is no accountability allows them to run off at the mouth with anything and everything that feeds the beast within. There is almost no control or restraint. And, of course, the more bitter they are, the more they feel the need to give the world the benefit of their 'opinion'. You have no hope of explaining, because they DON'T WANT an answer that doesn't suit them.
As for the whole of the rest of your post, just try looking up (on a reliable, competent website) who has the worst human rights record. You might find it interesting to compare the UAE to the UK and USA.
I saw a post on BM somewhere recently quoting a Chelsea fan (I think?) who said something like "you're not interested in human rights, you're like one of those racists who finds out there are potential issues with halal food and suddenly realises they've been a lifelong animal rights supporter". (The original was better!).

You can follow me on twitter...

Ok you can not go on Twitter these days with out reading something about our human rights abusing owners.
What we can not deny is that UAE have poor human rights record. But City is own by a company but now everybody are just saying that we are owned by a state, but lets for argument say that City is lying about our ownership.
Why is then UAE buying City and whats the point owning a football team. Yes its Sport Washing they say its for UAE to get a better reputation world wide .

How is that going then ? Before 2008 then I did not have any knowledge of a human rights issue in UAE did you ?
It dos not make any sense. IT is a failure and the would have sold the club by now because it has people talking badly about them simply because the owned City.

And why on earth would they buy City, small global fan group compere to Liverpool and United.
Where is all the propaganda about City then ? only propaganda is about liverpool and United these days.
Where is our own TV station , where is our own newspaper ?

That is why I belief that UAE has nothing to do about City and it will be cleared very soon.
Am I way off here or ?

From memory Etihad were formed in the early/mid 00's (ish). They tried to sponsor the Rags in around '06 but were knocked back by the Glazers. I think the Americans passed a comment or I remember reading something that pissed off Etihad. Whether that was the catalyst for the purchase of City, I don't know.

In addition, let's not forget, Thaksin Shinawatra tried to buy Liverpool in around 2004. As I remind my chums on a regular basis, maybe if they'd allowed TS to purchase the club, they may have had 4 Premier League titles by now. But of course Liverpool are holier than thou.

Social media and reality TV have given society’s idiots a voice.

Just because there are loads of these idiots all over the shop online or on tele these days, it doesn’t mean their opinions should be given any credibility.

They are still idiots with idiotic views and should be ignored!

Years ago society would say; “don’t listen to that ****, he’s a fucking idiot” and the idiots would sit in the corner of their pub on their own being ignored or just not bother going out because they know nobody would listen to them.

Nowadays the idiots from all around the world can converse with each other and they all think their idiocy is normal because that’s all they know. They venture onto social media comments sections where they feel a sense of importance because 653 other idiots from around the world will ‘like’ some idiotic thing they say.

The media pander to these idiots as well because they know these are the fools who will give them their ‘clicks’ therefore they put out stories that these idiots will lap up and it’s a money spinner.

It is the hallmark of a truly moronic journalist and gets to the crux of City's/public's frustration at the woeful standard of reporting in this country.

Maybe Sheikh Mansour bought City because he realised he could invest £1.3 Billion and a few years down the line, we would be worth double that (which seems to be the case according to a lot of financial publications and can be extrapolated from the sale of CFG shares)? Or maybe, it's a combination of that, and the fact that he's actually a football fan like a lot of other owners and wanted to indulge his interest by investing in a football club?

Either way, there is no way somebody as intelligent and astute as him would invest in City in an attempt to launder the reputation of an obscure nation with a middle of the road (in global terms) human rights record when the obvious result is that some of its more archaic laws would be under more scrutiny and criticism than ever.

Playing devil's advocate i've often wondered why no-one (and especially journalists) considers looking at the situation from the flip side.

i don't think i ever seen a case of our owner's trying to use the club as a vehicle to promote middle eastern philosophies, religion, culture or practices, or curtail anything that runs contrary to them (i.e. stop anyone at the club taking part in or promoting LGBT rights events etc).

So with a view to the above could it be that our owners, see other benefits to owning City other than the supposed PR & so called 'sports-washing'?

From what i've seen most of the Abu Dhabi 'elite' are educated in the West, and the Emirate seems to have a better tolerance against non middle eastern practises & culture (alcohol, sex outside marriage, same-sex relationships etc) than others in that region.

If you think back, less than 100 years ago, most of the inhabitants of that region were living in tents and under a regime that was practically medieval.
Change always takes time, but when you look how far that region has developed in the last 30-40 years it's quite staggering, especially when you consider that 'paragons of virtue' like the UK were chemically castrating one of their greatest intellectuals 65 years ago, and that many gay rights were only enshrined in law in the last 10 years or so.

So could our owners be actually using the club as a vehicle to expose more 'Western' values to their own countrymen so that they become more normalised, tolerated and then accepted in that region? and so that the required change towards western thinking happens more easily & quickly.

Seems like a win-win scenario on all accounts for them in my view.

Go on Manchester Instagram. There are 2 seperates accounts. They are full of the regular stuff, but if you keep on scrolling down the page, there are some absolute cracking picture’s of the parade, that you won’t find elsewhere. Social media isn’t always bad.

I don’t here City being portrayed as anything other than Manchester City by our owners. They are completely in the background and behind the scenes, running the business very well.
I’ve not heard them reference UAE with City other than via Etihad link, so would agree with others, if they’re trying to sporteash they are doing a pretty poor job of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.