SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS

Kinky by name said:
Responsible, so I'm told, for the most amazing catch in a cricket game ever. I was not very good and this was a friendly Daily Star V Daily Express knockabout... was bored, fielding in no man's land. Had a pint with me and was having a crafty fag. Batsman was never gonna be out against us amateurs; he was a semi-pro county player and had just hit 18 from his his first four balls. He whacked the skin off the next ball which flew skywards at a great rate of knot and on its way to me... just had time to readjust after slipping on the wet grass (I'm so professional I had boat shoes on) and fell backwards catching the ball an inch from the ground as I was upside down going backwards. The laws of physics carried me into what was essentially a back flip and emerged from the roll, triumphant with ball in the air and cigarette still in the mouth, though I was by now choking on the plumes of smoke. Dropped my pint, otherwise it would have been perfection. Was chaired to the pavilion and didn't have to buy a pint all night. Total fluke.

PMSL. Quality!

Won all four swimming races I was entered into for my school in the all manchester finals at broadway baths, that was in 1901, my memory fails. More recently ran in the manchester marathon a couple of times, best time 3hrs 13mins, also the absolute hardest physical and mental achievement ever for me was the `Tour of Tameside`, a lot of people drop out of this race its a killer, but to finish in the top half in an international field was a proud moment, I did`nt run again for six months it put me off that much.
The best had to be after twatting a united fan (absolute pearler right on the button) who was sat behind us at O/T and thought it a good idea to spit and shout abuse at us, I had to do a hop skip and a jump, followed by a sprint and then a vault over a wall as the stewards and police were chasing me, they fortunately did`nt catch me so I guess that was a sporting achievement too.

Kinky by name said:
Responsible, so I'm told, for the most amazing catch in a cricket game ever. I was not very good and this was a friendly Daily Star V Daily Express knockabout... was bored, fielding in no man's land. Had a pint with me and was having a crafty fag. Batsman was never gonna be out against us amateurs; he was a semi-pro county player and had just hit 18 from his his first four balls. He whacked the skin off the next ball which flew skywards at a great rate of knot and on its way to me... just had time to readjust after slipping on the wet grass (I'm so professional I had boat shoes on) and fell backwards catching the ball an inch from the ground as I was upside down going backwards. The laws of physics carried me into what was essentially a back flip and emerged from the roll, triumphant with ball in the air and cigarette still in the mouth, though I was by now choking on the plumes of smoke. Dropped my pint, otherwise it would have been perfection. Was chaired to the pavilion and didn't have to buy a pint all night. Total fluke.
Nice one. Only 9/10 though, due to the beer spillage!
Did you used to work at the 'Black Lubyanka' newspaper building. A fave Manc landmark of mine. My mate Dave Finn used to work there as a sub

LongsightM13 said:
Kinky by name said:
Did you used to work at the 'Black Lubyanka' newspaper building. A fave Manc landmark of mine. My mate Dave Finn used to work there as a sub

I've done shifts there many many moons ago but was working as a staffer elsewhere at the time. Did Dave Finn go to Xaverian College?

barryo said:
Ran a marathon last month in 4 hrs 32 mins.

Not bad considering I was a hefty 18 stone couch potatoe at at Xmas.
Knowing the training thats involved I have great respect for anyone that undertakes a marathon, the people who say they`ve done a marathon but actually `walked` around the course excepted. 4hrs 30mins is pretty good going for a first time, keep it going, I only run at the gym now among other things, good to keep fit.

Kinky by name said:
LongsightM13 said:

I've done shifts there many many moons ago but was working as a staffer elsewhere at the time. Did Dave Finn go to Xaverian College?
No mate, but spookily, I did! 86-88, previously St Pius/St Vincent de Paul. Victoria Park.
Dave Finn is now in his 50s, an old Mod from Lincoln. Subbed on The Star and later The Sport

Played football for my county.....

at U-16 level! ;-) Peaked too early...

Also scored one of the greatest own-goals ever seen on a 5 a side pitch last night, slid in and rifled it past my own keeper from the half way line. Team mates unimpressed though...

locoblu said:
barryo said:
Ran a marathon last month in 4 hrs 32 mins.

Not bad considering I was a hefty 18 stone couch potatoe at at Xmas.
Knowing the training thats involved I have great respect for anyone that undertakes a marathon, the people who say they`ve done a marathon but actually `walked` around the course excepted. 4hrs 30mins is pretty good going for a first time, keep it going, I only run at the gym now among other things, good to keep fit.

Yeah the training was tough but nothing could prepare you for the pain of the last few miles....!!!!

I do British Military Fitness in the park and I can safely say that I would never have got to the marathon level without BMF.

I agree with your comments re fitness although at 39 this is the fittest I've ever been in my life. I'm lighter now than when I left school!!!!

Scored the winner for Curzon Ashton against Mosley, then a following few seasons later won 6 games in a row for Ashton United, and ive set my own football team up FC Tavern Youth, who i currently play for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.