Sportsperson you've loved and hated

flyer

Leave out football which could become a bit predictable

Loved - Mohammad Ali, greatest athlete and showman

Hated - Alex Higgins, an embaressment to a gentlemans game

Ritchie Benaud: fine bowler, good batsman, outstanding captain. Became a great commentator. Example: Botham comes back into the England side after suspension for possession of cannabis; in his first over he takes two wickets and only a dropped catch prevents a third;
Benaud: Time for me to hand over commentary, I'm just off to catch up with the latest edition of Boys Own Paper.
Priceless. Loved him.

Sky making a production of sports has distorted things with over dramatisation and publicity I understand that, but I always found Phil Taylor to probably be a **** and I never liked him. Conversely I always thought that David Gower is probably a great bloke due to the same extra access to his sport and increased exposure to the person. But he was derided by purists as a bit of a twat in his day playing the sport and at the peak of his influence on it. I suppose the extra insight that subscription sport has given us in modern times allows for more informed decisions to be made. So Phil Taylor the **** and David Gower the great bloke it is for me

Jack Nicklaus, family man, charitably generous, champion. Class person.
the over celebrations for hitting a double in Darts, if it's not a match winner calm down.

Last edited:
Hated Viv Richard's as he always killed England

After he retired and gave his insight into the game and I appreciate how good he actually was, I now love him

A great story from Chis Cowdrey

Cowdrey, had been appointed England captain. All excited, he went out for the toss, impeccably dressed in whites and the England blazer. Richards came out wearing a Bob Marley T-shirt, surfing shorts and flip-flops. Cowdrey, true to tradition, started reading out the team list for the opposing captain when Richards stopped him after four names and said: “Play who you want, Man. Ain’t gonna make any difference.”

Last edited:
I always liked F1 driver Mikka Hakkinen. His driving style seemed different to everybody else, almost reckless but very exciting. He was always very funny in interviews aswel, he simply didn't give a shit.

I've been watching the Netflix documentary on the Chicago bulls and I have to say that Michael Jordan comes across as right horrible, nasty, bullying egomaniac. No wonder he didn't want the footage aired.

Graeme Swann

The best spinner I’ve seen represent England and his video diaries during the away Ashes series in ‘10 are well worth a watch. He’s a funny guy. KP might disagree though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.