Sportswashing is a made up word, so what's your definition?

Sportswashing doesn't exist. For example the Dubai Tourism Authority exists to promote Dubai as a nice place to visit. It does this because the rulers there need to diversify the region's wealth away from the dwindling oil business. It is nothing to do with concealing human rights abuses. Would anyone sane refer to it as "tourismwashing."
Our owner has invested billions in the sports and leisure sector across the world as well as CFG. It's just part of his very successful investment portfolio. He owns a big stake in Ferrari for example.
"Sportswashing" is a fabricated concept made up by some Human Rights Activists as part of their lobbying strategy to draw attention to genuine abuses. You could argue it's a legitimate cause but what isn't justified is the selective way Abu Dhabi and our football club is singled out for this propaganda war.
The scale of human rights abuses in Abu Dhabi is tiny compared to major countries across the world in Africa, Asia, and South America. CFG has invested heavily in a club in China. Is our owner also "sportswashing" for the Chinese Government, one of the worst regimes in the world?

Good old Miguel has written (yet another) article on sportwashing & having read the article & found it an interesting read, it’s thrown up more questions than answers for me. It mentions that sportswashing has no exact definition ie, it’s a made up word, which we all already knew.

What would your definition be?

Whilst I’m sure we’ll get some belting definitions, I’ve deduced, that whilst sportswashing has no definitive meaning in the English language, it can be interpreted as meaning:
‘To deflect unwanted attention to a negative action whilst simultaneously normalising ones name through sport’, which I think is a fair reflection of how it’s being used.

With that definition in mind, every football club (& many other sports) are in some way sportswashing, including a lot of amateur clubs, for the simple fact that all sportswear manufacturers are using sport to normalise their name/brand, whilst trying to deflect the fact that they use or have historically used child labour in 3rd world countries.

So why isn’t everybody up in arms that every club or nation who wears any manufacturers shirt, such as Nike, Adidas, Puma etc etc is washing the name of companies who want to deflect their use or previous use of child labour, whilst normalising their name/brand, when child labour is one of the most serious abuses of human rights? (Rhetorical question btw)

Which is pretty much every:
Football club (including amateur teams) & the national teams;
Cricket teams & national teams
Rugby teams & national teams
Tennis players
Athletes
Golfers

My other 2 definitions, seeing how it's being used would be:
'A means to imply that anything involved with the Middle East is dirty & therefore needs to be washed.'
'I hate Arabs'
You almost lost me when you said you'd read Miggy's article and found it 'interesting'... I persevered ;-)

'Journalists' such as Miguel think they are being clever using the term Sports washing, but in we all know why they target their negativity towards our owners.

My definition of sports washing is lathering up the women's team with my loofer.

Sportswashing
spor.ts-wosh.ing

When the fans of two football clubs are involved in the murder of other football fans but it’s brushed under the carpet by the media.

I just don't understand why the high and mighty so called liberal cranky left silly way of thinking about the world Guardian newspaper is concerned with what takes place in another country.

What happens in other countries does not concern us.

You could argue it's a legitimate cause but what isn't justified is the selective way Abu Dhabi and our football club is singled out for this propaganda war.
Well yeah. If someone is routinely writing articles criticising sporting tournaments (or even things like Eurovision) hosted by awful regimes and they happen to write something about our owners, fair enough. If the only time they mention sportswashing is because we happen to be winning things and they coincidentally support one of our main rivals, then you know they couldn't actually give a shit about human rights in the UAE. Kinda like those people who only care about women's rights when it gives them a chance to slag off a bunch of foreigners.

Sportswashing: 1) Word used by fans of teams who aren't getting everything their own way even though technology helps them. Generally fans who support clubs playing in the VAR-by.
2) Word used by ninth rate reporters to attract clicks from fans of clubs that favour hoof and hope football as a first choice tactic.

i share the belief the word is made up, it's just a new social media style soundbite, but i am surprised people think the concept doesnt exist - this sort of thing has gone on for many years no? making your reputation better/more acceptable with nice cultural things to mask over less nice things?

whether it applies directly to us is another argument but to deny it exists at all is pushing it a bit

Sportswashing that's what the bbc, sky and BT do isnt it ? Shoving utd and the dippers down are throats all the time.
Yeah, I'll go with that. I had a laugh reading the BBC report of our game 't'other night. McCunty(Chief Sportswasher at the Beeb) made the point that Mahrez was the first to score in both legs of a semi since, er, give us a mo, since, er, oh yeah, the guy who tried to sever Eddie's head and only succeeded in inflicting an open wound, er, Jeez, who was it. Gottit! Saddo Mane!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.