Spurs 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike those who claimed that it was obviously Spurs' dastardly plan all along to spend two seasons at Wembley; to spend tens of millions extra on thousands of hours of overtime to pretend that they were trying to get the stadium ready for September; to pay another £10-15 million to Wembley; to lose further millions paying back season ticket holders who were sick of Wembley; to lose out on maybe millions more from the NFL and others who wished to hire the stadium........all so that they could gain the massive advantage of.....well, err.........umm....playing nearly a whole second season of home games at a neutral venue and......err......well, that's it, really.

Those people really, really did know what they were talking about, right? ;-)
Purely as a matter of interest @JimB , how much further is Wembley stadium for you to travel to instead of WHL, in terms of distance, time, cost, etc?

Other regular Spurs contributors are also welcome to reply.

I ask because there is no real difference between my journeys to both Maine Road and the Etihad in terms of mileage, time and cost, despite them being in different areas of Manchester. I appreciate that your relocation is only temporary (safety checks permitting ;-) ) and mine is permanent, but I am curious as to whether this has any bearing on the large disparity between attendances.

Purely as a matter of interest @JimB , how much further is Wembley stadium for you to travel to instead of WHL, in terms of distance, time, cost, etc?

I ask because there is no real difference between my journeys to both Maine Road and the Etihad in terms of mileage, time and cost, despite them being in different areas of Manchester. I appreciate that your relocation is only temporary (safety checks permitting ;-) ) and mine is permanent, but I am curious as to whether this has any bearing on the large disparity between attendances.

For me the journey between WHL and Wembley is very similar in terms of actual time. But it is not the same as the routine I have been doing for decades. Tottenham is a shit hole but it is our shit hole.

Our attendances at WHL were always around 98-99% of capacity with the other couple of percent due to segregation etc.

The reason we 'needed' a bigger ground is because we have 42.5k season ticket holders and 176k members.

The attendances dropped off towards the end at Wembley because we were fed up with it. It was soul destroying and those of us that made the effort were surrounded by tourists in half and half scarves eating popcorn.

For me, it's actually far easier to go to Wembley. I used to live in Shepherds Bush (west central London) and it took as little as 30 minutes to get to Wembley. By comparison, getting to Tottenham usually took an hour, give or take. I've recently moved out of London - southwest. So the same applies, only with the added journey to get into London. I would imagine that Wembley is actually easier to get to for a fair proportion of Spurs fans.

But it's really not about the time or distance of travel. The declining attendances were all about Wembley as a venue. It's vast and soulless - great to go there for the occasional cup final but awful as a stadium in which to watch your team every other week for two years. Above all, it's not home. By which, I don't just mean the stadium itself but the area as a whole. Tottenham has loads of pubs. Our pubs. Where we know we'll see old faces and friends. Familiar match day routines and traditions. These things are especially important in London, I think, because of its sheer size. It's territorial in a way which no other UK city is.

On top of which, as decent as the facilities at Wembley are, they aren't a patch on what the new stadium promises to offer. The views from the seats even less so. And, this season, those of us who are season ticket holders had paid easily the highest prices in the country (per game) for the facilities and views at the new stadium. So to find ourselves trudging back to Wembley every other week while paying 50% more than we did last season was too much for some. They just refused to go any more and took the refunds instead.

Anyway, the wait is almost over. The first test event - an U18 game - is tomorrow afternoon. I've devoured every rumour and scrap of news about this project since before it even got going (some 12 years ago); and watched the new stadium rise bit by bit; and I'm feeling giddy as a schoolboy now about walking up those steps to see the pitch and the stands for the first time tomorrow.

Last edited:
For me, it's actually far easier to go to Wembley. I used to live in Shepherds Bush (west central London) and it took as little as 30 minutes to get to Wembley. By comparison, getting to Tottenham usually took an hour, give or take. I've recently moved out of London - southwest. So the same applies, only with the added journey to get into London. I would imagine that Wembley is actually easier to get to for a fair proportion of Spurs fans.

But it's really not about the time or distance of travel. The declining attendances were all about Wembley as a venue. It's vast and soulless - great to go there for the occasional cup final but awful as a stadium in which to watch your team every other week for two years. Above all, it's not home. By which, I don't just mean the stadium itself but the area as a whole. Tottenham has loads of pubs. Our pubs. Where we know we'll see old faces and friends. Familiar match day routines and traditions. These things are especially important in London, I think, because of its sheer size. It's territorial in a way which no other UK city is.

On top of which, as decent as the facilities at Wembley are, they aren't a patch on what the new stadium promises to offer. The views from the seats even less so. And, this season, those of us who are season ticket holders had paid easily the highest prices in the country (per game) for the facilities and views at the new stadium. So to find ourselves trudging back to Wembley every other week while paying 50% more than we did last season was too much for some. They just refused to go any more and took the refunds instead.

Anyway, the wait is almost over. The first test event - an U18 game - is tomorrow afternoon. I've devoured every rumour and scrap of news about this project since before it even got going (some 12 years ago); and watched the new stadium rise bit by bit; and I'm feeling giddy as a schoolboy now about walking up those steps to see the pitch and the stands for the first time tomorrow.
It’s such a great feeling.

What a fantastic stadium.

Nailed it.

Enjoy the experience mate.

To @JimB and @SpursLoyal, thanks for your replies. I love the comment about Tottenham being "our shithole" - it reminds me of Moss Side in so many ways (including riots!), but I suppose each area defines the club. The Etihad in comarison to Maine Road is a quantum leap forward in comfort and accessibility, but it's not the Kippax, where I used to stand. I'm getting used to it, though.
The last time I was in your area was visiting a company on Paxton road/street, which is probably now part of your new stand, but that was when I was a hitman for the Revenue!
I must admit, ignoring the "toilet bowl" jibe I made previously, it does look fantastic, with or without the cheese room. I hope the Season Ticket prices you both pay become a bargain (but not at our expense, obviously), compared to the £400 I pay (geriatric rate).

With regard to Wembley, even I'm getting pissed off with it - it could be 5 visits in little over a year by the end of the season! It's a bugger to get to for someone with walking difficulties, being all uphill, and the prices inside must be set by the Kray Twins. Still, the price of success is not cheap - I remember vividly the years of dreaming of the "twin towers".

Good luck in your new home.

I agree with you regarding Wembley; it’s lacking in atmosphere and I don’t like the neutrality of the place, though I’ve never been there for a Spurs' home game, of course, so can’t comment on what it’s like from that point of view.

To @JimB and @SpursLoyal, thanks for your replies. I love the comment about Tottenham being "our shithole" - it reminds me of Moss Side in so many ways (including riots!), but I suppose each area defines the club. The Etihad in comarison to Maine Road is a quantum leap forward in comfort and accessibility, but it's not the Kippax, where I used to stand. I'm getting used to it, though.
The last time I was in your area was visiting a company on Paxton road/street, which is probably now part of your new stand, but that was when I was a hitman for the Revenue!
I must admit, ignoring the "toilet bowl" jibe I made previously, it does look fantastic, with or without the cheese room. I hope the Season Ticket prices you both pay become a bargain (but not at our expense, obviously), compared to the £400 I pay (geriatric rate).

With regard to Wembley, even I'm getting pissed off with it - it could be 5 visits in little over a year by the end of the season! It's a bugger to get to for someone with walking difficulties, being all uphill, and the prices inside must be set by the Kray Twins. Still, the price of success is not cheap - I remember vividly the years of dreaming of the "twin towers".

Good luck in your new home.

Cheers mate. U18's kick off in 2.5 hours! I have to wait for the Legends next week! (Legends = anyone that played a game for us that isn't dead).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.