Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

Seemingly our bogey team. We were the better side just didn’t score end of (why mahrez starts is a mystery though)

i am not saying maureen plays park the bus every week he clearly doesnt, but if Pep had set out that way yesterday it would have taken spurs by surprise and played into our hand, instead we did what maureen was expecting and we played into their hands. In the time it took spurs to change their game plan, might not have picked his team to be more attacking. I guess at the end of the day i just wish Pep wasnt so predicable ( forgetting the Lyon game where he wasnt predicable lol )

I'm sure it would have taken Jose by surprise but unless it drew Spurs out and had them commit players forward recklessly, what would it have achieved? Also, Jose may well have given his team instructions on what to do if City sat back at any stage. He's also capable of figuring out changes during a game. But I don't want to be bigging him up.

City having a way of playing may appear to make them predictable but that actually isn't the big issue IMO, it's about how you execute the game plan.

Well you know it's getting bad because it's taken over sixteen hours for people to start claiming that everything is fine and that everyone is overreacting.

If you don't think people overreact to poor football results on a regular basis!

Quite clearly the team has an ongoing issue and has now made things quite difficult for itself in terms of mounting a title challenge this season.

I hope the relevant people at the club can smell the roses and do something to improve the squad in January but we cannot rely on that and Pep has got to do what he can to get a consistently higher level of performance out of what remains a very talented squad.

The situation is hugely frustrating.

I think your lack of pace, energy and enthusiasm is a result of the issue I outlined. Yesterday you started off brightly but because we could comfortably keep our shape you couldn't get into our box or get in good shooting positions around it and there is no point in crossing to Jesus from wide against a busy box.

The longer the game went on the more your pace, energy and enthusiasm waned because nothing was changing.

Whenever I have watched Aguero pull defences around you create good chances, even when you don't score the more chances you create the more enthusiasm there is because it is working. The goals then become almost inevitable

Mourinho asked Pep to find a way round the parked bus issue again yesterday and I'm sure couldn't believe his luck when Pep did his predictable lemming-like routine of playing right into Mourinho's hands. Trash-talking in the media, perfect well executed game-plan, 3 points and job done for Jose. Best of luck to Spurs for the remainder of the season - hopefully we'll not be as dire and entirely predictable when you come to our place.

If you don't think people overreact to poor football results on a regular basis!

Of course, but we're not talking about standalone performances, this is so consistent that it's become our standard, not an anomaly.

I also think there's something to be said for those who will repeatedly fail to see the major issues because they're constantly fixated on the silver lining.

But I agree with everything you've said there. Incredibly frustrating.

Aguero isn’t quite the player he was though. He’s still very good but he’s lost a yard and is progressively out injured more each year. I don’t think the result would’ve been any different with the 2019/2020 version of Aguero, particularly because he’d still have picked Mahrez to ensure our attacks break down on a regular basis.
Mourinho has you well set up against attacking teams like ours if yesterday is anything to go by. It’s how that translates when you have to commit more men forward that will define how you go because I don’t really rate your defence when it doesn’t have 6 men in it... and then you need to keep Kane fit, who was excellent yesterday.
Agree with the first paragraph, my point was that you need a player that does what a fit Aguero used to do, but even with the drop in pace defenders still worry about him. I've thought for 2/3 seasons you have needed that player though so that you have proper cover when Aguero is injured, for rotation or to play with him as the closest thing you will come to a plan B under Pep.

From what I've seen I completely agree with the majority on here about Mahrez, I was astounded that you paid that much for him when you did and I've been perplexed at the number of starts he gets for you. Either he is amazing in training or he's got compromising photos of Pep. If you are going to keep playing him then he needs Walker to make overlapping runs to give him space to come inside (walker has rarely achieved much with overlapping runs but it does make space for others), but that needs Rodri to learn how to cover at right back

Our defence has been much improved lately as Dier has settled in to the unfamiliar left CB position and formed a good partnership with Toby. Our 6 games before yesterday were all against 'inferior' teams where we were mostly attacking (and for 80 minutes against West Ham the match before that, the last 10 I won't comment on! Toby's injury yesterday may really set us back as Sanchez is still erratic, Rodon is untested at this level, Tanganga is just coming back from injury and Davies is only comfortable at LCB in a 3

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.