Squad lists, rules and the end of the transfer window!

Gareth Barry Conlon

So the transfer window has a couple of days left and it looks like we are done in terms of incoming and only notable outs remain in order to comply with squad limits. I thought it would be a good time to update on the final numbers for our squad / recap on the rules etc.

The key issue is 17 from where ever i.e. foreigners (for both PL and CL squad rules). Beyond the 17 above we can have 4 association trained (AT) and 4 club trained (CT) for the CL, the PL doesn’t distinguish AT and CT and allows 8 of either. Under 21’s are not limited for PL so all EDS or new signed U21’s can play. However in CL under 21s have to be registered for 2 years and then they are unrestricted – hence Nacho being out of contention until taking one of the 17 spots over Nasri last January and still requiring a spot until January. You don’t need to have a minimum number of HG players or club trained players, both the rules are you can have a max of 17+4+4 for CL or 17+8 for PL. No quotas as some assume only limits.

Hope that’s all clear. Here is the list for CL.

4 Club Trained - 1?
Jason Denayer?, (still a question over his eligibility?).

4 Association Trained - 5?
Joe Hart?, Gaël Clichy, John Stones, Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph,

17 Unrestricted – 23?
1 Caballero 2 Bravo
3 Kompany, 4 Sagna, 5 Kolarov, 6 Zabaleta 7 Otamendi
8 Gundogan 9 Fernando, 10 Fernandinho, 11 Yaya Toure, 12 Silva, 13 Navas, 14 Nasri, 15 De Bruyne,. 16 Nolito
17 Bony, 18 Aguero. 19 Sane, 20 Kelechi Iheanacho,
(21 Mangala, 22, Zinchenko, 23 Bruno Zuculini).

For the Prem league the following changes:

Sane. Nacho, Zinchenko all drop in to the unlimited under 21s so the 23 becomes 20.

Bottom line, If Joe goes we have no issue with English players. 6 players need to drop out for the CL but only 3 for the Prem league. So who are the 3 and 6 that will either leave or miss out on PL/CL football?

I expect Bony and Mangala to leave, with Denayer (loan) and Nasri still possibilities.

So the transfer window has a couple of days left and it looks like we are done in terms of incoming and only notable outs remain in order to comply with squad limits. I thought it would be a good time to update on the final numbers for our squad / recap on the rules etc.

The key issue is 17 from where ever i.e. foreigners (for both PL and CL squad rules). Beyond the 17 above we can have 4 association trained (AT) and 4 club trained (CT) for the CL, the PL doesn’t distinguish AT and CT and allows 8 of either. Under 21’s are not limited for PL so all EDS or new signed U21’s can play. However in CL under 21s have to be registered for 2 years and then they are unrestricted – hence Nacho being out of contention until taking one of the 17 spots over Nasri last January and still requiring a spot until January. You don’t need to have a minimum number of HG players or club trained players, both the rules are you can have a max of 17+4+4 for CL or 17+8 for PL. No quotas as some assume only limits.

Hope that’s all clear. Here is the list for CL.

4 Club Trained - 1?
Jason Denayer?, (still a question over his eligibility?).

4 Association Trained - 5?
Joe Hart?, Gaël Clichy, John Stones, Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph,

17 Unrestricted – 23?
1 Caballero 2 Bravo
3 Kompany, 4 Sagna, 5 Kolarov, 6 Zabaleta 7 Otamendi
8 Gundogan 9 Fernando, 10 Fernandinho, 11 Yaya Toure, 12 Silva, 13 Navas, 14 Nasri, 15 De Bruyne,. 16 Nolito
17 Bony, 18 Aguero. 19 Sane, 20 Kelechi Iheanacho,
(21 Mangala, 22, Zinchenko, 23 Bruno Zuculini).

For the Prem league the following changes:

Sane. Nacho, Zinchenko all drop in to the unlimited under 21s so the 23 becomes 20.

Bottom line, If Joe goes we have no issue with English players. 6 players need to drop out for the CL but only 3 for the Prem league. So who are the 3 and 6 that will either leave or miss out on PL/CL football?
#22 + #23 have already gone

I'd missed them (was away for the weekend).

Updated bottom line, 4 players need to drop out for the CL and 2 for the Prem league.
Bony & Mangala clearly two of those 4 for the CL & PL. So with those two we're fine for the PL.

Toure may well be another CL drop out. The last might depend on any fitness concerns but everyone is in full training. If Nasri goes that solves the problem but if not I'd keep him in the CL squad over Fernando/Delph. We only really need one of those.

I presume Gunn is in the u21s? We need a 3rd GK.

Hope Navas goes. At the start of the summer I wanted him to stay but after seeing him in a few games I'm thinking there's no hope for him. If we need pace and crosses then keep Angelino on the bench.

Hope Nasri stays. IMO he could be one of our most important players if he gets a run in the side (and lets not let the fact that there are more popular players in his position get in the way of the best 11).

Hope Yaya goes (again I was hoping he'd stay but he hasn't looked like he has the pace when he has featured - maybe he is still rusty though).

Bony & Mangala clearly two of those 4 for the CL & PL. So with those two we're fine for the PL.

Toure may well be another CL drop out. The last might depend on any fitness concerns but everyone is in full training. If Nasri goes that solves the problem but if not I'd keep him in the CL squad over Fernando/Delph. We only really need one of those.

Agree on the PL squad, that looks done. Delph's place is not under threat because he fits in as 1 of 4 AT players. Fernando, Mangala, Bony, Nasri, Toure. 4 from those 5?

Sane and Nacho only drop into the unlimited U21's once they have been at the club for 2 years, Nacho meets this requirement in January, then there will be a spot for Gabriel Jesus. (EDIT: For the CL).

I'd expect it to be Mangala, Yaya, Nasri and Bony that don't make the final squad for the CL. Or Caballero instead of Yaya and he uses Gunn as backup in the CL.

Last edited:
That's for the CL. It doesn't apply to the PL squad where they just have to be U21, regardless of nationality or how long they've been at the club.

Sorry, I just assumed he was talking about the CL squad. Although I think the CL squad will dictate our premier league squad to some extent, i.e. Mangala can go and get Champions League football at Porto rather than play 5th choice, same with Nasri at Besiktas or Sevilla.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.