Squad Management/Man Management

Nelly's Left Foot

Probably the hardest part of the job for Mancini is managing the squad and the players in it.It's what building a team is all about and we have heard plenty from him about how difficult it is playing 2 games in 3 days or 3 in 7 etc etc.

We have also heard him say he has been beset by injuries , only 1 striker available( Jo and RSC apparently don't count), missing 2 full backs at the start etc. In the context of man management the messages he gives along the way with the comments he makes, the teams he selects, the way he asks the team to play all have a part to play in the way the team gels and develops as a team unit.

I always thought man management would be his biggest challenge bearing in mind some of the players in the squad. He is a strong character who doesnt shirk making tough decisions and some of the so called " problems" are no longer around but I wonder how close he is to getting the changing room that he wants?

Some of his decisions, whether right or wrong, must have concerned individuals directly affected. e.g Lescott and Bridge being overlooked in favour of Boyata for the Arse game.AJ persistently not selected for prem games. We can't know how this affects them or indeed whether others in the squad are bemused as well and the effect such things can have.

This challenge gets harder if results are not right so we need a couple of big results in the next 2 prem games.

I think the problem is the lack of discipline at the club. Mancini is seemingly being undermined on too many occasions now.

The players appear not to respect him and he needs to ge a grip quickly before the season turns shit.

I'm a Mancini fan, but the clear out at the start of the season, ridding us of the "troublemakers", clearly hasn't worked.

Too many reported problems concerning, Johnson, Hart, Barry, Given, Tevez, Ade, Yaya... it really can't go on like this.

I hope Mancini is strong, 'cos he'll need to be.

"The players appear not to respect him and he needs to ge a grip quickly before the season turns shit."

If the players don't respect him the question would be why not?

Nelly's Left Foot said:
"The players appear not to respect him and he needs to ge a grip quickly before the season turns shit."

I can't answer that, 'cos I'm not personally involved in the club.

But the comments coming out of the club from past players and the behaviour of current players leads me to the view that they don't respect him.

If they did, they wouldn't behave like they do!

I know many on here will say it doesn't matter what they think of the manager so long as they do it on the pitch... and they're right. But on too many occasions this season we haven't really done it on the pitch, have we?

I know we're 4th. but I genuinely feel that we are as good as anyone, apart from maybe Chelsea. But that ability will only be made reality if we are all pulling in the same direction, and I don't think we are...

Soulboy said:
I think the problem is the lack of discipline at the club. Mancini is seemingly being undermined on too many occasions now.

The players appear not to respect him and he needs to ge a grip quickly before the season turns shit.

I'm a Mancini fan, but the clear out at the start of the season, ridding us of the "troublemakers", clearly hasn't worked.

Too many reported problems concerning, Johnson, Hart, Barry, Given, Tevez, Ade, Yaya... it really can't go on like this.

I hope Mancini is strong, 'cos he'll need to be.

100% agree.
I think Bob and Khaldoon need to get the whole squad together and lay down the law.
They are paid amazingly well to do one thing,play to the best of their ability every game,not just when they can be arsed.If they do not want to do that,then fuck off some where else.
Whether they are a new signing or on a long contract,get with the programme or go,we can and will replace you.
AJ,Barry,Hart and Given,seem to be taking the piss (pun intended),give them one more chance,if they stuff up again,get rid.

I would rather have one more year of winning nothing and getting rid of some of these so called professionals,than winning one cup and it going back to the same old bullshit of players running the club.

Soulboy said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:

But the comments coming out of the club from past players and the behaviour of current players leads me to the view that they don't respect him.

I know many on here will say it doesn't matter what they think of the manager so long as they do it on the pitch... and they're right. But on too many occasions this season we haven't really done it on the pitch, have we?

I know we're 4th. but I genuinely feel that we are as good as anyone, apart from maybe Chelsea. But that ability will only be made reality if we are all pulling in the same direction, and I don't think we are...

I don't disagree that we have the quality of players but the manager has to have the changing room with him or he will fail irrespective of the talent he has at his disposal.It's not as easy as getting the squad together and laying down the law and those who don't perform just get the boot.

There is no doubt that without Tevez's performances this season we would be mid-table at best. But I really don't think he should be allowed to fly back whenever he isn't playing. He is the Captain and as such he should be around supporting and showing the rest of the players how important every game is. He is inspirational and if he is in the changing room before the game and half time it may have an effect.
It's not a have a go at Carlos post I just want to see him accept that the role of captain is more than playing matches. Look at successful teams over the years - injured captains and important players tend to at least be at the matches they out for. It may not have solely made a difference to yesterday shambles but every brick gradually builds success.
The club appear to be walking on eggshells where Carlos is concerned - the others players will note this and it's not conducive to an all in it together atmosphere. The club need to know where we stand in importance to Carlo's life - unfortunately I fear they already know - Obviously behind family, that's a given - but I fear we are slipping even further down his priorities.
You can't knock him as a player - but I hope Carlos comes to realise he has a far more important role to play than he recognises. It's Mancini's job to emphasise this to him.
This factor is somewhat incidental to the performance we witnessed yesterday - and not a diversion - the team, the tactics, the substitutions the fundamental inability to do the basics were the main feature. And for that the blame lies with both players and manager. More with the players mentality - you'd think they'd be determined to say ok - we did come initially for the money - but we are going to prove the critics wrong, be professional and demand success of ourselves.
Silva apart - as soon as wolves scored they all ran for cover.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
Soulboy said:

I don't disagree that we have the quality of players but the manager has to have the changing room with him or he will fail irrespective of the talent he has at his disposal.It's not as easy as getting the squad together and laying down the law and those who don't perform just get the boot.

What would you do then,to the players that have the talent but do not perform,for what ever reason?
They are highly paid,professional athlete's,and should perform as such.Imo.

pominoz said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:

What would you do then,to the players that have the talent but do not perform,for what ever reason?
They are highly paid,professional athlete's,and should perform as such.Imo.

It's not an easy answer because we don't know what's going on day in day out behind the scenes. All the players we have have got talent and the simple answer to those who are not performing is to drop them and play somebody else.After all that's what the squad is supposed to be all about.Not that you always drop a player after one bad game but players need to be aware the underperforming has consequences.

However having said that the issue that is being suggested is that the players or some of them don't respect the manager and I doubt that would be just about team selection ( although for those not picked it is bound to be).There could be all sorts of reasons for that and IF it exists it really is a problem.

Global fine for all senior playing staff for unprofessional behaviour.

The likes of de Jong, Vieira etc won't be happy with the members of the squad who have caused this, and will certainly let them know.

Having your manager have a go is one thing, but if your peers are on your case you take notice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.