Squad shape/formations

So much talent in midfield & attack.....and then wasting three spots for CB's....what a waste.....

Guardiola should just make a choise between Aguero en Jesus. There will be more room for the one who plays and more room for De Bryune en Silva.

Also with 4 at the back, Walker and Mendy/Danilo can run forward instead of already being forward and just stand there waiting for the ball.

Here is the problem. Chelsea went 3-4-3 last year. 2 energetic midfielders, 2 energetic wing backs, 2 decent wingers and a strong striker plus 3 decent defenders. You can see why it would work. Too me our strikers are not a pair, midfielders look lost and the fullbacks are so high but without the skill to beat a very deep defe
So much talent in midfield & attack.....and then wasting three spots for CB's....what a waste.....

Guardiola should just make a choise between Aguero en Jesus. There will be more room for the one who plays and more room for De Bryune en Silva.

Also with 4 at the back, Walker and Mendy/Danilo can run forward instead of already being forward and just stand there waiting for the ball.

Absolutely spot on and utterly bizarre that Pep is starting with this system. You could let him off if he'd just taken over but the 3 centre backs(2 of which are average at best) just takes away a creative player and now we've got quick fullbacks but in this system they can't overlap because they are the ones recieving the ball in advanced positions instead of say Bernardo Silva or Sterl
ing... Still it's great to watch Otamendi striding forward and looking to play the killer pass 30 yards from the opponent's goal and Dinho attempting crossfield passes like Yaya.

Ederson
Walker kompany stones mendy
Fernandinho
De Bruyne Bernardo/Silva
Sterling Sane Aguero/Jesus

4-1-4-1

I think the major advantage he sees is not necessarily in the 3 centre halves themselves, it's what it allows us to do elsewhere. It allows us to keep the central midfield 3 shape that he likes, and also get Aguero and Jesus together up front, in the middle.

I guess the other idea is that last season with 4 at the back and our full backs pushed right on, it meant we were often left defending counter attacks with essentially 2 (the two centre backs) which left us horribly vulnerable to direct balls down the channel and quick counters. I guess the idea of playing 3 centre backs is that it gives us more cover in those situations.

All of which makes perfect sense, in theory at least. But I'm surprised that he seems to be prioritising getting Jesus and Aguero on the pitch together over retaining the threat in wide areas - which we spent so much time honing last season. And I'm not sure that the three at the back does make us less vulnerable to direct balls down the channels, not least as both Otamendi and, to a lesser extent, Kompany look distinctly uncomfortable when dragged out into those areas. I think that Walker/Danilo/Mendy in a solid four would give us much better protection - and with Sane and Sterling wide, there wouldn't be any need for them to be bombing forward all the time.

Perhaps I'll rephrase: it's not that I can't see where Pep feels the advantage(s) of the system to lie, more that I'm slightly bewildered that he thinks those advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and that its the system that best serves us at the moment.

to be honest, 3-5-2 is going to be played in most home games as we'll dominate as we did.

it's up at the goal scoring end where we need to improve; Silva scores and it's a different game. Aguero had a great chance. Sterling skied one and scored. Pickford great save. And this is against one of the top defensive units of the league.

honestly, get used to the 3-5-2. They only scored cos we gifted them the ball.
disagree as playing that means we will have to keep an extra creative mid on the bench. Be surprised if we dont switch back to a four either next week or after the internationals.

All of which makes perfect sense, in theory at least. But I'm surprised that he seems to be prioritising getting Jesus and Aguero on the pitch together over retaining the threat in wide areas - which we spent so much time honing last season. And I'm not sure that the three at the back does make us less vulnerable to direct balls down the channels, not least as both Otamendi and, to a lesser extent, Kompany look distinctly uncomfortable when dragged out into those areas. I think that Walker/Danilo/Mendy in a solid four would give us much better protection - and with Sane and Sterling wide, there wouldn't be any need for them to be bombing forward all the time.

Perhaps I'll rephrase: it's not that I can't see where Pep feels the advantage(s) of the system to lie, more that I'm slightly bewildered that he thinks those advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and that its the system that best serves us at the moment.

I completely agree with you, mate.

I'm not a fan of 3 at the back, would prefer us to play 433 like last season, was just offering an idea of what I think Pep's thinking is with the back 3.

If he wants to get 2 up front against Bournmouth I'd probably go for a 4 at the back and midfield diamond. Bournmouth aren't going to launch it in to the channels.

With the players we have, 3-5-2, or even 3-6-1, is perfect for me considering most of the teams will go for total defence and as long as Leroy is not the first option LWB. He was asked earlier in the year about that possibility and if I remember he said he did not like that idea. It is only two games in the season and it is obvious Pep wants our offensive middle field player receiving the ball while 'in position' and not having to track 20-30 yards back to pick it up. Clue - Yaya was not in the starting 11 in neither of the games. I am loving it how we play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.