Squad strength and cost

StMark's

As part of the vitriol directed our way this week after our performance at Southampton, are quotes such as us having "by far the strongest squad in the country" actually true? Comparing our current 26 man squad with the Rags, there is hardly any difference in overall cost (around £300m) and I would say they have more options in midfield, although they did spend over £130m to get this. They also spent more on their defence than us (£76m v £72m) although I think we got better value here.

Figures (£m) are taken from official sources where possible and exclude RSC, Bridge and Kolo who will never play for us again. Actually, adjusting the millions spent on Rooney, Ferdinand and Carrick for the transfer inflation that has occurred since then, our current squad actually costs less in real terms.

MCFC

Joe Hart 1.5
Costel Pantilimon 3

Joleon Lescott 22
Matija Nastasić 12
Karim Rekik 0
Vincent Kompany 6
Micah Richards 0
Gaël Clichy 7
Pablo Zabaleta 6
Maicon 3
Aleks Kolarov 16

Javi García 16
Gareth Barry 12
Jack Rodwell 12
Abdul Razak 0
Yaya Touré 24
James Milner 16
Samir Nasri 25
David Silva 24
Denis Suárez 1
Scott Sinclair 6
Marcos Lopes 0

Carlos Tévez 25
Sergio Agüero 38
Edin Džeko 27
John Guidetti 0

Total £302.5m

Rags

David de Gea 17
Anders Lindegaard 3.5

Jonny Evans 0
Phil Jones 16.5
Chris Smalling 12
Rio Ferdinand 30
Patrice Evra 5.5
Nemanja Vidic 7
Alexander Buttner 4
Rafael da Silva 2.6

Michael Carrick 18.5
Darren Fletcher 0
Tom Cleverley 0
Anderson 20
Ryan Giggs 0
Paul Scholes 0
Nani 21
Ashley Young 20
Antonio Valencia 16
Nick Powell 6
Shinji Kagawa 17
Wilfried Zaha 15

Wayne Rooney 30
Robin van Persie 24
Javier Hernandez 10
Danny Welbeck 0

Total 295.6m

I think the most telling piece from this list is the number of players at 'zero' who have become established players at senior level. City have just the one, though you could perhaps squeeze Joe Hart in there if you like. The other lot have six, and although they have spent the money to reinforce their squad, there is a message in there that teams have to maintain a system that brings in players as they leave school and to develop them and to introduce them to stardom. For various reasons in the past, notably the constant changing of Management, we have allowed our own standards to lag, and it would be folly to allow the 'Mancini out' brigade to get their way. I hope our Barca connections continue their build from within policies, and to allow Mancini just to get on with it.

I'm no cynic said:
I think the most telling piece from this list is the number of players at 'zero' who have become established players at senior level. City have just the one, though you could perhaps squeeze Joe Hart in there if you like. The other lot have six, and although they have spent the money to reinforce their squad, there is a message in there that teams have to maintain a system that brings in players as they leave school and to develop them and to introduce them to stardom. For various reasons in the past, notably the constant changing of Management, we have allowed our own standards to lag, and it would be folly to allow the 'Mancini out' brigade to get their way. I hope our Barca connections continue their build from within policies, and to allow Mancini just to get on with it.
SSSHHHHHH.... Don't mention Mancini In/Out!!! You'll wake the beast(s) and we'll lose yet another interesting thread.

I'm no cynic said:

The only thing I agree with is UTD have had more quality come through. Unfortunately for where we are now - we don't have enough quality

The new guys will hopefully put a system in place of continuity of bringing good youngsters through playing a similar system throughout the club - whoever is in charge. Like Barca they will hire coaches who fit that ethos.

Mancini is not responsible for the Academy and so far in his tenure has not brought any through, maybe due to lack of quality an pressure to succeed

UTD have had a system in place for years but when you look at it - they've only brought through 3 in the last 10 years (Cleverley, Welbeck, Jones)

crystal_mais said:
I'm no cynic said:

The only thing I agree with is UTD have had more quality come through. Unfortunately for where we are now - we don't have enough quality

The new guys will hopefully put a system in place of continuity of bringing good youngsters through - whoever is in charge. Mancini is not responsible for the Academy and so far in his tenure has not brought any through.

UTD have had a system in place for years but when you look at it - they've only brought through 3 in the last 10 years (Cleverley, Welbeck, Jones)
I don't think so.

Jordie said:
crystal_mais said:
I'm no cynic said:

The new guys will hopefully put a system in place of continuity of bringing good youngsters through - whoever is in charge. Mancini is not responsible for the Academy and so far in his tenure has not brought any through.

I don't think so.

sorry my mistake - Evans

crystal_mais said:
Jordie said:
crystal_mais said:

I don't think so.

sorry my mistake - Evans

And Cleverley was nicked from Bradford City

David de Gea 0 (academy)
Anders Lindegaard 0 (academy)

Jonny Evans 0 (academy)
Phil Jones 0 (academy)
Chris Smalling 0 (academy)
Rio Ferdinand 0 (academy)
Patrice Evra 0 (academy)
Nemanja Vidic 0 (academy)
Alexander Buttner 0 (academy)
Rafael da Silva 0 (academy)

Michael Carrick 0 (academy)
Darren Fletcher 0 (academy)
Tom Cleverley 0 (academy)
Anderson 0 (academy)
Ryan Giggs 0 (academy)
Paul Scholes 0 (academy)
Nani 0 (academy)
Ashley Young 0 (academy)
Antonio Valencia 0 (academy)
Nick Powell 0 (academy)
Shinji Kagawa 0 (academy)
Wilfried Zaha 0 (academy)

Wayne Rooney 0 (academy)
Robin van Persie 0 (academy)
Javier Hernandez 0 (academy)
Danny Welbeck 0 (academy)

Total 0

LoveCity said:
David de Gea 0 (academy)
Anders Lindegaard 0 (academy)

Jonny Evans 0 (academy)
Phil Jones 0 (academy)
Chris Smalling 0 (academy)
Rio Ferdinand 0 (academy)
Patrice Evra 0 (academy)
Nemanja Vidic 0 (academy)
Alexander Buttner 0 (academy)
Rafael da Silva 0 (academy)

Michael Carrick 0 (academy)
Darren Fletcher 0 (academy)
Tom Cleverley 0 (academy)
Anderson 0 (academy)
Ryan Giggs 0 (academy)
Paul Scholes 0 (academy)
Nani 0 (academy)
Ashley Young 0 (academy)
Antonio Valencia 0 (academy)
Nick Powell 0 (academy)
Shinji Kagawa 0 (academy)
Wilfried Zaha 0 (academy)

Wayne Rooney 0 (academy)
Robin van Persie 0 (academy)
Javier Hernandez 0 (academy)
Danny Welbeck 0 (academy)

Total 0

All from Salford as well actually.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.