Squad Strengthening In Not So Distant Future

We'll presumably sign players in the coming windows to plug the various gaps and improve in certain areas. The one notion I would like clarified, however, is that we need, or indeed that Guardiola favours, large, powerful fullbacks. The signings of Walker, Danilo, and Mendy suggest that we do have 'a type', as, too, did the summer sale of the smaller Maffeo and Angelino. Yet we were rumoured to be close to signing Alves at one point, so presumably size really isn't everything. Would be interested in hearing Guardiola's thoughts on this.

From what I gather the need for large athletic fullbacks is the way in which we play and opposition try to counter on us. There have been lots of times where when opposition counter they pop a cross over and Zinchenko can't defend it. I think Pep knows the PL well enough and knows how teams attack with crosses and headers. The need for Walker was for his pace and athleticism defending counters on the right while we would use Mendy to attack on the left. Alves would have been used in attack on the right because of his skills almost like a midfielder and the LB would fall back and make it like a back 3 when we lose the ball.

Why would we bring Gunn back? He left because he needs to play first team football.

I assume Bravo is out in the summer. If we replace him with Gunn he counts as a club trained player. This means we can bring in an additional outfield foreign player.

You are right about Gunn wanting first team football but he is not getting it at Southampton.

I assume Bravo is out in the summer. If we replace him with Gunn he counts as a club trained player. This means we can bring in an additional outfield foreign player.

You are right about Gunn wanting first team football but he is not getting it at Southampton.
He's more likely to get it there than here. If we're worried about squad spots Muric is here, club trained and a more suitable stylistic replacement for Ederson.

I think Gunn signed for Southampton on a permanent deal

If we need to have a club trained player as our number 2 then why not just use Muric? Otherwise we have Zack Steffen joining in the Summer and could be the number 2.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.