Squash

Used to play a lot.

One time, when I was about 30, I was on a residential course where there was a squash court. An old buffer of a tutor (probably in his 50s) asked if I fancied a game. Well, I ran like fuck all over the court while the old git just stood on the T and flicked wrist shots left, right and centre. After 45 minutes I had lost every game and was totally bolloxed. The tutor hadn't even taken his sweater off. Bastard!

Glauber Berti said:
Used to play but now with my ailing knees i doubt i could last that long on court.
most of the former squash players at my club now play Racketball. Rallys last longer ( so good for aerobic fitness) but less demanding on dodgy knees, backs etc. Also lends itself to doubles more than squash. I coach begginers and age ranges from 7 to 70 can pretty well play straight away)

It's a great sport.

When I was younger I went on a coaching course to learn how to play better.

Then stopped playing for years.

In my mid 20's I played football every weekend, at a decent standard, when a mate challenged me to a game of squash.

I'd not played squash for years, but through regular football, I thought I was pretty fit and accepted (and enjoyed) his challenge.

The next day, I could barely walk!! The aches I had were unreal.... my thighs and bizarrely my buttocks (I know I'm prone to some innuendo's here!!) ached like fook!!

As I said, a great sport and it certainly gets/keeps you fit!!

Played from the age of 20, and stopped when I was 57 due both me and my mate getting older and more injury prone.

When I first started in 1970, I played 3-4 times a week. On Sundays, 4 or 5 of us would play from 9am -1pm in rotation, then 2 of us ( me and my mate above) would go play football for the team we were in.

For the latter 20 years, we'd play once a week at the local sports centre then go for a steakwich and a couple of pints in the pub.

Now, we've cut out the middleman, and go straight to the pub!

I've still got my squash bat, a Wilson that cost £70. I wouldn't have paid that much, it was a birthday present.

I'd love to play again, though. The mind wants to, but the body.........

I play most weeks in moss side. Not very fit, but enjoy a run around and generally play against lads younger and fitter than me. Got good hand eye co-ord and a good wing span so usually win more than I lose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.