Stan Bowles

there were a few players in the mid 70's similar to Bowles.....Marsh .Currie,Hudson,Mckenzie,Worthington to name a few....all fantastic gifted players who represented their country a fraction of what they should have done,

there were a few players in the mid 70's similar to Bowles.....Marsh .Currie,Hudson,Mckenzie,Worthington to name a few....all fantastic gifted players who represented their country a fraction of what they should have done,

With the possible exception of Hudson, I loved all of those players (obviously Rodney the most). Great entertainers all, Mckenzie was unbelievable - he liked to dribble past 3 or 4 then do it all over again!

Mercer liked to pick this type of player during his short time as England manager but Bowles abconded from the England hotel in a fit of pique after being taken off against Northern Ireland. He didn't return and the squad flew to the next match in Scotland without him. Unsurprisingly, he wasn't picked again.

Sure I heard this from Stan himself in an old interview. He was in the England squad, I think Don Revie was the manager. Revie announces that he's got them an extra 20 quid bonus. In the training room Emlyn Hughes as captain stands up and says "we're not playing for the extra money are we boys, we're playing for our country, for the shirt, for pride." Silence in the room till Stan puts his hand up at the back and says "can I have yours then?" nothing but stony stares. Haha good ol Stan.

Anyone remember a surreal moment in a game between City and QPR about 75 or 76. Willie Donachie took exception to an incident involving Stan and some other City player on the halfway line. Donachie came running up behind Stan in a motion that looked like he was about to punch him in the back of the head but instead proceeded to leap frog him. I remember Brian Moore saying Donachie was lucky not to be sent off. Maybe he was just reminding him the racing jump season was starting

Real sad news about someone that was undoubtedly a talented footballer. He was around in the days when it was hard to get an England cap, unlike later when they gave them away to all and sundry. I agree with the post that he was around at a time when almost every side had a true entertainer in their team, which is why there are so many good clips on Youtube of the 70's.

I actually read his autobiography about six months ago, it was quite an entertaining read.

He will be in white hart royton tomorrow night handing out trophies for a presentation about 9pm. Was in there with him on Gold cup day, worst picker of horses I've ever known. Top fella though. QPR have sent up 100 shirts for him to sign so they can raise a bit of money for him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.