Stan Collymore

Yeah i understand what you're saying. But that's true of every defender. There is no perfect defender. Maybe the problem was talking in superlatives (the best x) rather than talking about quality because the moment we do that, the reaction is to point out flaws that make a defender less than perfect. Which is the case with everyone.

Long route or hoof football is easier to deal with for a big defender,as you said, but that isn't the only good thing he's at, in my opinion.

He reads the game well. Little things that we don't usually focus too much on. When a striker has the ball between the lines and runs at a central defender, it's always a chance to do damage. In those situations (granted, only from what I've seen and I haven't watched all his games), he tends to make the right decision without fail. He marshalls the striker onto his weak foot when isolated. He sends the striker towards the middle when he sees a potential overlap and avoids a disadvantage by forcing the striker into help defense.

These are little details that don't get as much attention as a crunching tackle, but he does them almost all the time. Always makes the right decisions. Players like him would flourish under people like Guardiola (or Klopp in his case).
Dave Watson wasn't far off perfect

Thiago Silva
Ramos
Chiellini
Vinny (when fit)
All better and all actually lead their defences instead of whining at team mates for their own mistakes.

Historically, all of those are better than Van Dijk. But in terms of form, Van Dijk is better than all of them. I haven’t seen a defender like him since a prime Vinny. I’m not just saying that because he’s in good form, I wanted us to sign him when he was at Celtic.

I see the Liverpool propaganda machine has even converted some City fans into believing this VVD is the best in the world or should be poty.

He's playing in team that evolved from all out attack to more defensive this season, VVD isnt the reason they are suddenly not letting in any goals. I still wouldnt want in City team, he cant pass the way Laporte or Stones can, and they can defend too!

Reactions: mac
Historically, all of those are better than Van Dijk. But in terms of form, Van Dijk is better than all of them. I haven’t seen a defender like him since a prime Vinny. I’m not just saying that because he’s in good form, I wanted us to sign him when he was at Celtic.
when the twat starts to score important 1 nil goals against rivals then that’s when I will judge him against Big Vinnny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.