Stan Horne

ColinBellsjockstrap

Anyone remember Stan?

I bumped into him by chance three or four years ago....still looking good.

Seen here with Johnny Crossan, David Connor and Colin Bell

kiLLkfAy.jpg

You can see both Stan and Bobby Owen at Radcliffe Borough matches throughout the season......both look great and always happy to chat
Bobby Owen made his City debut in the Charity shield match vs WBA at Maine Road in August 1968. City won 6-1 and Bobby scored 2 goals on his debut.
I was only 12 at the time but I remember thinking that he was going to be a great addition to the City squad.
I was soon brought down to earth as he proved to be not very good after that impressive start. Something that was to be repeated with depressing familiarity for the next 40 years.

Stan was a decent half back in our 66 promotion side but I think he struggled a bit when he played in Division One.
And I am pretty sure he was the first black / mixed race player to play for City.
Stan was South African, labelled "Cape Coloured" by the crazy apartheid regime. For those unaware, sexual relations between black and white was a criminal offence. People of mixed heritage were, therefore, labelled "Cape Coloured" and supposedly came from an ancient African people. Bonkers.
Stan, of course, would have had trouble playing top level footy in SA, where standards were low and money was scarce. Not sure how he ended up at City, but he gave us decent service in Div 2.
Edit PS. I don't recall any racist behaviour towards Stan. Maybe fans then were better behaved.

Stan was South African, labelled "Cape Coloured" by the crazy apartheid regime. For those unaware, sexual relations between black and white was a criminal offence. People of mixed heritage were, therefore, labelled "Cape Coloured" and supposedly came from an ancient African people. Bonkers.
Stan, of course, would have had trouble playing top level footy in SA, where standards were low and money was scarce. Not sure how he ended up at City, but he gave us decent service in Div 2.
Edit PS. I don't recall any racist behaviour towards Stan. Maybe fans then were better behaved.
Suspect it was partly to do with our large number of non white fans in those days and thankfully are still with us today.

The only colour that matters is BLUE

Not sure how he ended up at City, but he gave us decent service in Div 2.
Stan was at Villa when Joe Mercer was manager and he signed for City after Joe and Mal were appointed.

I recall hearing isolated comments from mostly older fans at the time but no concerted racism towards Stan at Maine Rd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.