Started a New Job - How Soon Can I Leave?

kenzie115

I recently left a job I'd had since finishing university just over three years ago. I felt like I'd reached a point where I needed to move on to challenge myself and experience something different and new. I also realised I could earn more money elsewhere which didn't hurt.

So I found another job, similar industry, similar role and started a couple of weeks ago. However, it's not going well at all. They're very disorganised, for example, there's no structured training plan, I've just been told to shadow someone who's retiring in a couple of months and I had no desk, chair, computer etc upon arrival, it was sort of like they weren't expecting me. The guy I'm supposed to be shadowing is 64 and every other member of staff I've met has described him as lovely, but eccentric, which he is. The 'training' is going very slowly and it's becoming very frustrating, particularly as the managers (plural because there's a bit of re-structuring going on so his boss won't be my boss) know what he's like and sort of have a "that's-just-the-way-it-is" attitude.

So my question is, how soon after starting a new job can you leave? I know legally the longest I'd have to stay would be my notice period (4 weeks) but I mean in terms of not being a t***. I'm considering resigning now and asking not to work my notice (seems daft for me to train for 4 weeks for a job I won't be doing). Does anyone think that's wrong? I sort of see it as best for both me and the company as if I stuck it out for another couple of months and then jacked it in, the guy would have retired and they'd really be stuck, this way they can get someone else in sharpish and still have time to train them. I'm pretty certain I won't be here in 6 months either way.

I await bluemoon's expert advice.

I think they'd want you out ASAP anyway if they're currently training you. You don't have to work your notice period if you don't want to.

Don't feel guilty about leaving.

IF the training is that poor and you don't have the resources you need then it's their fault and they are asking for it.

If they improved training and were more organised, would you stay? If so it may be worth highlighting their faults.

foxy said:
Hi David Moyes!
'kin ,ell!
That has made my day... can't stop giggling.

Don't feel guilty kenzie. Sentiment is a wonderful thing. If you need to go then you must. To work is one aspect, to be happy at work would give you a greater quality of life. You could look at this as a challenge.

kenzie115 said:
I recently left a job I'd had since finishing university just over three years ago. I felt like I'd reached a point where I needed to move on to challenge myself and experience something different and new. I also realised I could earn more money elsewhere which didn't hurt.

So I found another job, similar industry, similar role and started a couple of weeks ago. However, it's not going well at all. They're very disorganised, for example, there's no structured training plan, I've just been told to shadow someone who's retiring in a couple of months and I had no desk, chair, computer etc upon arrival, it was sort of like they weren't expecting me. The guy I'm supposed to be shadowing is 64 and every other member of staff I've met has described him as lovely, but eccentric, which he is. The 'training' is going very slowly and it's becoming very frustrating, particularly as the managers (plural because there's a bit of re-structuring going on so his boss won't be my boss) know what he's like and sort of have a "that's-just-the-way-it-is" attitude.

So my question is, how soon after starting a new job can you leave? I know legally the longest I'd have to stay would be my notice period (4 weeks) but I mean in terms of not being a t***. I'm considering resigning now and asking not to work my notice (seems daft for me to train for 4 weeks for a job I won't be doing). Does anyone think that's wrong? I sort of see it as best for both me and the company as if I stuck it out for another couple of months and then jacked it in, the guy would have retired and they'd really be stuck, this way they can get someone else in sharpish and still have time to train them. I'm pretty certain I won't be here in 6 months either way.

I await bluemoon's expert advice.

Make time to sit down with whoever is responsible for you there and also give it a little longer. Things might improve.

You have a job. Well done. You can now stick it out like a man and come out the other side a better person or quit now boo hoo I haven't got a desk, boo hoo where's my pc, boo hoo he's so old, where's my mummy, I wanted a runny egg, boo hoo and find another one.

If you left without serving the contractual notice then they could probably sue you for breach of contract but probably wouldn't due to cost. Some would though. Best to actually speak to them and come clean. Hopefully both parties would settle on a more agreeable period as so agreeing to mutually breach the contract. Make sure any agreement is confirmed in writing. If you cannot agree then give them what you want to and take your chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.