State of Wembley Pitch 1970

cyberblue

Just been watching a clip of the game I forgot what a shit pitch it was back then with snow at the back .Like a farmers field

Was at that game as a ten year old. Absolute bog of a pitch.

My first Wembley visit as a 15 year old, I was expecting to be impressed with the "home of football" only to be confronted with a grubby, faded stadium and a ploughed field for a pitch. At least the result and the coach trip were good!

Yep. And it had snowed overnight - we had a right time getting there.

I only had to get there from Leicester where I was living at the time. Train there and back but the snow was a problem. At least it was a better journey than the year before when the train was full - naturally - of Leicester City fans. Goals by Tommy Doyle’s grandfathers - Glyn Pardoe’s in extra- time - cancelled out a very early Jeff Astle header. WBA were a more than decent side in those days.

Yes but at the Empire Pool indoor arena.
No.... It was on the Wembley pitch.

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/west-brom-league-cup-final-196970/
Written by City author David Clayton

"Wembley surface famously described by Blues’ manager Joe Mercer as “a pig of a pitch”. It was a long way short of the bowling green surface everyone had come to expect of England’s home stadium but it was hardly surprising given that The Horse Of The Year Show had been held at Wembley just days earlier, an unthinkable scenario in today’s world where perfection is demanded from players, sponsors and a global audience of millions."

Last edited:
We only had a little old A40 at the time so I hired a car and the damn thing broke down on the M6 - fortunately we had left home in Leigh really early and even though we had to wait almost an hour for the AA we still got to the ground with time to spare. My wife was pregnant at the time so our son has been to Wembley even though he didn't get to see any action!!! We emigrated in 1974 so he has never been to Wembley as a person!!
And as other posters mentioned the weather was bloody awful and the pitch a mud bath.

"Wembley surface famously described by Blues’ manager Joe Mercer as “a pig of a pitch”. It was a long way short of the bowling green surface everyone had come to expect of England’s home stadium but it was hardly surprising given that The Horse Of The Year Show had been held at Wembley just days earlier, an unthinkable scenario in today’s world where perfection is demanded from players, sponsors and a global audience of millions."
No, they just have American football now!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.