Steve Daley - "There's not a day that goes by when I don't think about City"

Thanks to @City_Shirts for another great interview. I really enjoyed it and Steve comes across very well.

I always felt sorry for him. For the fee we spent on him, the fans thought we were getting the new Colin Bell. He simply wasn't that good and couldn't cope with the expectation levels. He was, though, a decent player who was, as he says, not far off getting into the England squad when he joined us. You could almost visibly see his confidence ebb away over time.

He actually put in some really good displays at the start of his time with us. Results were a bit inconsistent but at Christmas we were around halfway in the league. We'd beaten Forest (European champions that season) and United (who finished second in the league), looking very good in the process. Watching those games, I felt I could see the method behind Malcolm's madness and Daley was excellent in both matches.

Unfortunately, from Christmas onwards, the wheels came off. We lost at Halifax in the Cup and couldn't win a league game. Daley's personal form mirrored that of the team. The nadir came at home to Everton in a midweek game early in April. This is the infamous backpass that someone raised above and that I've discussed on here before.

City had thrown away a two-goal lead against bottom-placed Bolton the previous Saturday and, having not won for months, were looking serious relegation candidates ourselves. We'd led Everton for quite a long period but had started to sit back, looking to protect the lead. Daley's terrible backpass to gift them an equaliser ensured that our winless run continued.

That's the moment I always think of as summing up his time with us. The early promise dissipated and it was a pretty desperate period for both him personally and the club as a whole.

I've this fella lined up next week for a Tales of Blue Q&A.....Six years a blue and one of a select band of players to have appeared in the shirt in three different tiers of English football.

View attachment 8639
Tia, Tia, Tiatto...or something like that!
Loved his fighting spirit at the time. Do seem to remember him being sent off against Norwich and wanting to fight Kevin Keegan as he left the pitch though!?
Sat in the Main Stand that day and I'm sure Stuart Pearce stood over the player our Danny had 'crocked' yelling at the top of his voice 'Get up!' ..(pretty sure the guy didn't get up though, surprisingly enough!)
Always thought Tiatto was 'proper hard' and could imagine him playing Aussie Rules!!

He was a decent player purely weighed down by price. Watch his goal at Everton. We go mental and he gets on the fence.

Got jumped after the game and the coppers just watched us getting punched and kicked.
Got back to Lime Street and they were still chucking stuff at us while we were waiting to get in the station ( the open bit outside where they made you wait before going in).
There were a few City fans in the arcade opposite.. Las Vegas of the North or something daft.
You were right about not many blues there lol...mind you wasn't a great place to go unless you had a decent crew.

tbf the transfer fee was not Daley's issue , it was Big Mal and Swales who paid £1m too much for him , Daley was never going to live up to his fee with the squad we had at the time , he was a grafter and gave 100% but the transfer fee weighed him down. He was a decent midfield player in a poor mid table team , just one of many of Swales's major cock ups and Mal's delusional player acquisitions. Allison's second spell at our club put us back at least a decade , he sold proven international players for buttons and replaced them with expensive unknowns.
Wolves never wanted to sell him and he was sold behind the managers back. John Barnwell wanted to keep him but the club were in financial difficulty at the time.
Lovely man still does a lot around wolves too.

Tia, Tia, Tiatto...or something like that!
Loved his fighting spirit at the time. Do seem to remember him being sent off against Norwich and wanting to fight Kevin Keegan as he left the pitch though!?
Sat in the Main Stand that day and I'm sure Stuart Pearce stood over the player our Danny had 'crocked' yelling at the top of his voice 'Get up!' ..(pretty sure the guy didn't get up though, surprisingly enough!)
Always thought Tiatto was 'proper hard' and could imagine him playing Aussie Rules!!
Full kit, boots and ...a watch.
Tiatto got off to a rocky start and wouldnt have been a huge surprise if hed moved on after one season, improved hugely after 1st season and proved a versatile, if sometimes hot headed player. Gave his all for the cause and more than repaid his transfer fee.

Thanks to @City_Shirts for another great interview. I really enjoyed it and Steve comes across very well.

I always felt sorry for him. For the fee we spent on him, the fans thought we were getting the new Colin Bell. He simply wasn't that good and couldn't cope with the expectation levels. He was, though, a decent player who was, as he says, not far off getting into the England squad when he joined us. You could almost visibly see his confidence ebb away over time.

He actually put in some really good displays at the start of his time with us. Results were a bit inconsistent but at Christmas we were around halfway in the league. We'd beaten Forest (European champions that season) and United (who finished second in the league), looking very good in the process. Watching those games, I felt I could see the method behind Malcolm's madness and Daley was excellent in both matches.

Unfortunately, from Christmas onwards, the wheels came off. We lost at Halifax in the Cup and couldn't win a league game. Daley's personal form mirrored that of the team. The nadir came at home to Everton in a midweek game early in April. This is the infamous backpass that someone raised above and that I've discussed on here before.

City had thrown away a two-goal lead against bottom-placed Bolton the previous Saturday and, having not won for months, were looking serious relegation candidates ourselves. We'd led Everton for quite a long period but had started to sit back, looking to protect the lead. Daley's terrible backpass to gift them an equaliser ensured that our winless run continued.

That's the moment I always think of as summing up his time with us. The early promise dissipated and it was a pretty desperate period for both him personally and the club as a whole.
Glad you enjoyed it, Steve was brilliant and gave a real honest account.

Danny Tiatto up next tomorrow

(4) Tales of Blue Manchester City - YouTube

Thanks for the memories. I was 17 at that time and had a season ticket for 4 years so went the full 35 years(though it wasn’t my fault)I honestly can’t remember him other than the stupid fee but then it could be the beer.

I met Steve Daley after going with my neighbour to watch Cardiff City v Wolves at Cardiff City Stadium about 6 or 7 years back. It was after the game and they kept the bars open in the Main Stand after full time so we went for a couple more before going home.

I was in the queue for the bar when a bloke (who looked vaguely familiar) walked past and was then queuing up behind me. I looked down and he had a press pass - it was Steve Daley and he was working for one of the Midlands radio stations at the time.

Anyway I got my pint, waited for him to get served, and then went up to him and said "F**king Halifax Town 1980! I went with my dad when I was 10 years old and you and City team left me traumatised ever since!".

He was obviously a little bit startled at the time as I am sure he wasn't expecting a City fan to be questioning him in South Wales when Wolves were playing.

But he was great value and a proper gent. We were stood chatting away for about 20 minutes discussing his time at City and the story behind his transfer - He even got me another pint - all round top bloke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.