Stockport County

They'll stay up at the expense of Barrow, Stevenage or whoever wins the play-offs.

Unless it's Wrexham as they'll have deeper pockets than even Salford at that level.

To be honest I'm pleased they've come up. Don't know any County fans and having missed our beatings at Edgeley Park I don't have any great animosity towards them.
My best mate is a Rochdale fan so it's good they've come up to replace Oldham as a big local game.

Pleased for them. I went to Edgeley Park a few times when I was at a loose end on a Friday night, years ago mind, actually saw them play Everton in the Cup, it was packed to the rafters.
In general it's good for Manchester to have as many clubs in the Football League as possible. And given that we've lost Bury (and Oldham, I think?), it's no bad thing that one's going up. Used to be a time when Manchester had more clubs in the League than any other city outside of London. And it's still the case that Lancashire has an astonishing number of clubs.

Pleased for them. I went to Edgeley Park a few times when I was at a loose end on a Friday night, years ago mind, actually saw them play Everton in the Cup, it was packed to the rafters.
In general it's good for Manchester to have as many clubs in the Football League as possible. And given that we've lost Bury (and Oldham, I think?), it's no bad thing that one's going up. Used to be a time when Manchester had more clubs in the League than any other city outside of London. And it's still the case that Lancashire has an astonishing number of clubs.
You mean Greater Manchester. Manchester has only ever had one club in the football league!

I agree though, the more more teams from the NW in the football league and doing well is better for the local area. I always look out for the Granada teams and hope they go up rather than down!

Originally from Stockport so would often attend games on a Friday and then to Maine Road on the Saturday. IIRC George Best played a few games for them in the 70's, Mickey Quinn in the 80's and they in later years had a really tall forward called Kevin Francis who made Dan Bird look like an Oompa Loompa.

Glad they are back but hopefully we'll never have to play them again.

You mean Greater Manchester. Manchester has only ever had one club in the football league!

I agree though, the more more teams from the NW in the football league and doing well is better for the local area. I always look out for the Granada teams and hope they go up rather than down!

;-) I know why you objected to my usage. Yeah, using “Manchester” loosely (being the southerner that I am).
But when you say the NW, sorry, but I have to part company. I couldn't give a flying fuck how many teams the city of Liverpool has, frankly (although I always look out for Tranmere's result, God knows why. I was at school with a lad who was not an Everton or Liverpool fan, but a sound Tranmere Rovers fan — and the school was in Worcestershire! Part of English football fan eccentricity, no doubt).

Originally from Stockport so would often attend games on a Friday and then to Maine Road on the Saturday. IIRC George Best played a few games for them in the 70's, Mickey Quinn in the 80's and they in later years had a really tall forward called Kevin Francis who made Dan Bird look like an Oompa Loompa.

Glad they are back but hopefully we'll never have to play them again.
Still plenty of city and United fans go from people carrying united rucksacks and others chatting about city and getting tickets etc. They would have never survived the eighties and nineties without Friday night football. There's always been connections between city and Stockport the latest being Taylor Harwood bellis.

Still plenty of city and United fans go from people carrying united rucksacks and others chatting about city and getting tickets etc. They would have never survived the eighties and nineties without Friday night football. There's always been connections between city and Stockport the latest being Taylor Harwood bellis.
Strongest connection at present being Philip Walter Foden!
Plenty of good things come out of Stockport! Used to be a hippie shop called Seven Miles Out, with sort of joss sticks burning, Afghan coats and suchlike. A hippie shop… In Stockport!!
Remember revising for A levels in the municipal library. Could have done it at home, but it was a good excuse to get out of the house. Growing up in leafy and decidedly sleepy Hazel Grove (think XTC's “Respectable Street”, a perfect portrait), Stockport was definitely my local town.
Didn't Joy Division record Unknown Pleasures there, or am I imagining that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.