Stories of meeting City fans in unusual places

I was on a plane from Dubai to Seoul , got talking to the lad next to me, turns out he was a city fan but from Barnsley or somewhere around there, although that’s not really the odd part. We got talking about music and he knew of the band I’d been in because it turns out I also knew his sister because she worked on a merch stand on a tour I was on. I think one of our band members might got to know her much better than me, but I obviously kept that one to myself

Anyway, he seemed a good lad. Said he supported City because his dad did, rather than his local side.

Small world.

On holiday in Rhodes 30 odd years ago with two mates one Blackpool one Port Vale. Waiter in a bar we used wearing red and black striped City shirt. He told me he was a Manc working out there for board and lodging only had to live on his tips, made sure he did well off us for rest of his stay. Following day Greek bar owner asked where we were from, having been told Lancashire coast he looked confused. " Fifty miles from Manchester said i" , " ah said the greek, I support Manchester United". Poor chap looked confused when we told him to F**k Off.

18 years ago, I was on holiday in Florida with my wife and son. We went into a shop to buy some film for our camera, as we started to look around the shop, we could hear someone singing blue moon. We looked but could only see the guy behind the counter, who was looking the other way, we carried on looking around and the singing started again. As we approached the counter the guy started to laugh. He had noticed my son's City shirt when we had walked in, he was related to Darren and Jason Beckford.
Jason manages Simcoe county Rovers these days. About an hour north of me.

Colin Barret was the reason I started supporting City. As a young kid I supported the other lot because all the kids at school did. My sister got to know him and she started bringing home autographs of City players in the early 70’s and leaving them on the kitchen table, probably just to wind me up. I had to ask her who which players they were Bell, Lee, etc. She said. That was me hooked. Ironically her son ended up being a big Red and is now suffering the consequences.
Rag

I went for a cardiac ablation two days ago. I met a fella called Dave from cheadle heath in the bed next to mine, only him and I on the ward. He too was a blue and 30 years my senior.

We got chatting and turns out he is the brother in law of a ex city player I’d never heard of called Colin Barratt. The stories were really interesting and especially the one about his meeting with Brian clough in leek when Nottingham forest wanted to purchase him from city. He went on to win the European cup and score against Liverpool. Unfortunately got injured in his mid twenties and forced to retire.

Brilliant to listen too and helped enormously with the waiting too be seen.

If your out there Dave, I hope all is well mate.

And thank you.
Remember Colin Barrett slapping in a 30 yarder against somebody

I was on a plane from Dubai to Seoul , got talking to the lad next to me, turns out he was a city fan but from Barnsley or somewhere around there, although that’s not really the odd part. We got talking about music and he knew of the band I’d been in because it turns out I also knew his sister because she worked on a merch stand on a tour I was on. I think one of our band members might got to know her much better than me, but I obviously kept that one to myself

Anyway, he seemed a good lad. Said he supported City because his dad did, rather than his local side.

Small world.
What was your band called CR?

A few years ago we were in Toronto on holiday. The tour guide on the way there was telling us about the underground pathways and the variety of shops, store etc that were in them.

As I'm not much a breakfast eater but as the Mrs and meither in law are and the hotel we were staying in the lift went straight down to the PATH I thought one morning I'll go and have a mooch and have a look.

Well about 10 mins in and I see what I thought was a City shirt but thought "Nah, be some Hockey Jersey in a similar colour". Get's closer and low and behold it is. Went over to the bloke who was talking with a friend and simply said great shirt.

He looks at me for a second, then asked how I knew. Explain I was Blue from Manchester and showed him my City engraved Zippo. Had a chat and turns out he was involved in the Supporters branch. He did give me the details but never managed to make it due to the itinerary of our tour.

Last edited:
Was on a work a trip around The Gambia, West Africa, which is about 90% Muslim, back in about 2001.
Was taken to a compound deep in the bush who were Christians. They had to live in isolation in case they were persecuted or attacked by extremist elements from neighbouring Senegal.
The main man and all his children and grandchildren turned out to be City fans, a right old mix of old shirts that had obviously been handed down, and they all knew Blue Moon etc.
All started with a Manc aid worker decades before apparently.
Ended up giving him my City shorts, swapped for a pair of dubious ‘Nike’ efforts which were a bit tight around the nuts for the remainder of the day

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.