Strange rules of the game

This new rule that every foul by a city player is a booking is getting me down tbf. Gonna cost the Sheik a fortune in fines no wonder we can’t afford Grealish

A few seasons ago I was reffing a Northern Premier game. The striker went round the keeper who tripped him up about 2 yards outside the box but before I blew up the striker got to his feet and put the ball into the empty net. I thought "great advantage". However, in the changing room the assessor says I should have blown up and red carded the keeper as you should never play an advantage from a red card incident. I asked him what red card incident, too which he said "denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity". He did not really have an answer when I pointed out he had not denied the goalscoring opportunity.
Always worth repeating the exchange some of us had with Mike Riley back in 2012.

There had recently been a controversial incident at Old Trafford (where else) when a QPR player had been sent off for DOCGSO and a penalty awarded that should never have been given.

The point was made that not only was the award wrong on two counts but that the concept of a red card for denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity had been introduced to punish players who committed offences outside the area that would have given the attacker an opportunity to score a goal. In this case no penalty could be given so the alternative sanction was dismissal, even if the actual offence wouldn't normally have warranted a red.

But when the offence was committed inside the area, the penalty effectively restored the goalscoring opportunity & the red card should only be shown if the offence warranted one on its own (e.g. handball on the line).

Riley considered this for a moment and replied that it was a good point but they'd discussed this at PGMOL & gad come to the conclusion that defenders would just wait until an attacker was in the area before fouling them, in order to avoid a red card.

"But then you'd be able to give a penalty & thereby restore the goalscoring opportunity" was the response from the floor but Riley struggled to grasp that seemingly logical & simple concept.

Seems it finally sank in a few years later when they dropped the stupid rule.

like when we played stoke away a couple of seasons ago early on in the season......corner to stoke next minute the ref points to the spot Raheem gets booked..commentary team announce that its a new rule that any infringement (player being held) on a corner will result in a penalty......another rule applied to city never to be seen again

Update on this one. Sterling got booked at Southampton last season for running into the pitch surround towards his own visiting supporters after he scored, apparently a match going spectator was beaten up by a steward too until Aguero asked the steward to stop.

After one of their 2 goals in the Derby the Utd players did the same, towards the home supporters in the corner of CB and family stand. Don’t recall anyone getting booked here.
We all know what happened with the idiot and the scumbags in the direct opposite corner.

I’m not linking what happened there with what happened later, just the inconsistency of the decisions in the 2 games.
They haven’t amended the ‘guidelines’ have they?

One for refs amongst us:

What happens when you're reffing a match in which an established team is drawing 3-3 with its local rivals, but they desperately need a win to maintain both their title challenge and perceived superiority over said up and coming rivals and you've added four minutes of injury time?

That's easy, it happened so often at The Swamp that it's common knowledge now! The added time shown is only a minimum!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.