Stuart Pearce

Sorry about bumping such an old thread but just watching a documentary about him on Sky and it talked about the game where he put David James up front for the last 10 minutes against Middlesbrough in 2005 to try and get into Europe. I’d completely forgotten about that.
Crap penalty from Fowler

It was a decent documentary. It'd forgotten about Stuart Pearce's car crash, when a flying bin lorry landed on top of his car, and he walked away without a scratch after having the presence of mind to lay down across the passenger seat. All he complained about was some oil dripping on the back of his t-shirt.

And when he had a day off during Euro 96 after the Spain game, he went to see the Sex Pistols and took Gareth Southgate with him. It was Southgate's first live gig. As Psycho was a punk fan, he was asked to go on stage to introduce the Pistols, so he took hell-rasing Southgate with him too.

Attachments

• stuart-pearce.jpg
    stuart-pearce.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 36
  • PAY-sex-pistoleds.jpg
    PAY-sex-pistoleds.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 36
We won at grounds where previosuly we had been shit, Newcastle, Boro(I think) and Fulham. Mpenza was brilliant
Cheers, I remember a pretty solid defence with DIstin and Dunne supported by peak-Barton in midfield.

My recollection of Mpenza was that he was only brilliant in comparison to Samaras, Corradi and Vassell. He only scored 3 and we got 13 points from the last 16 games, I can't remember when he signed. The other deadly trio got 10 league goals between them, Barton was top scorer with 6 and Samaras second with 4.

The New Year's Day game was the only game I missed - I saw 8 league goals at home that season. The last win I saw was mid-November. How did we stay up?!!

cos we had a half decent away record for some strange reason

Cheers, I remember a pretty solid defence with DIstin and Dunne supported by peak-Barton in midfield.

My recollection of Mpenza was that he was only brilliant in comparison to Samaras, Corradi and Vassell. He only scored 3 and we got 13 points from the last 16 games, I can't remember when he signed. The other deadly trio got 10 league goals between them, Barton was top scorer with 6 and Samaras second with 4.
He only scored three but essentially two of them were crucial goals at Newcastle and Middlesbrough which went a long way to keeping us up.

It was definitely a team built from the back......

Dunne but in particular Distin were excellent. Regards Mpenza, you’re right he wasn’t a world beater but is probably still held is high(ish) regard as he was miles better than the two you mention and as he may have only scored 3 goals, I think at least 2 of them were winners and the other coming in a tight home win

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.