Sturgeon wants another referendum

Well, like her or not, Nicola has whipped up plenty of discussion. Our Brexit thread has fallen to p2 as this one rages on.

She and Salmond are actually pretty astute and personable politicians: a cut above the average.
We will soon get back to posting on issues of UK wide relevance when the A50 is issued

And if the Islands decide to stay with the UK rather than go with Scotland then you could have a really bad time in terms of claiming the oh-so-important oil due to the equidistant rule of territorial waters.

Good post. I've picked out this extract because I'm not familiar with the Islands situation. Any chance of a quick summary? And is it relevant to fishing as well as oil? Cheers in advance.

Magicpole must be a "true scot" then.
The snp dont even have a plan, they are all over the place with a currency. We'll use the euro, no we'll keep the pound even though ww cant keep the pound because its a uk currency! Its all right for you lot living outside scotland, you dont see the utter mess they are making up here.

You'll survive without the UK, of course you will. Nobody is stupid enough to run up the debt to extreme levels while maintaining those levels of public investment.

What WILL happen though as a consequence of independence is that free University will be gone almost immediately. Public service investment will take a hit in numerous areas. Scotland won't become a wasteland but it will not be as well of for investment as it is today.

And if the Islands decide to stay with the UK rather than go with Scotland then you could have a really bad time in terms of claiming the oh-so-important oil due to the equidistant rule of territorial waters.

Technically May is under no obligation at all to allow a Scottish referendum and could just bareface say "no" and that would be the end of it until we had a new PM who could do the same. The Scots can't declare their own referendum obviously, it has to be granted to them and there's little reason to do so.

"What WILL happen though as a consequence of independence is that free University will be gone almost immediately. Public service investment will take a hit in numerous areas. Scotland won't become a wasteland but it will not be as well of for investment as it is today."

Of course this reality is simply avoided by the very same SNP champions that have been banging on about the austerity policies of recent years

Given the challenges that will need to be faced the years following independence will make the recent years seem like extreme largesse

I think it's more a case of making sure that people haven't forgotten them which considering they're actually in power up here is sad. Never mind, at least Magicpole still believes in them, he always reminds me of Pratchett's 'Small Gods' book. Perhaps I should call him Brutha from now on.
Now - for those that have read that book - is extremely funny.

You have the comparison bang-on

Good post. I've picked out this extract because I'm not familiar with the Islands situation. Any chance of a quick summary? And is it relevant to fishing as well as oil? Cheers in advance.

The Islands have made murmurings about independence from Scotland if they vote Yes. To be honest those Islands are culturally distinct from Scotland in the same way that Scotland is culturally distinct from England. It was only relatively recently in historical terms that they became Scottish. Orkney was classed as part of Norway/Denmark for about 600 years until they were given to the Scots in the 15th century. The Shetlands have a similar history but with more rebellion and telling the Scots to piss off. Those people from the Northern Islands....I mean, I don't like sweeping generalisations as a rule but I don't think it's too much a stretch to suggest that being fiercely independent from the Scots is built into their culture a bit. They're a different breed up there. They're Scotland's Scotland for lack of a better term.

Anyway, the main proposal I've seen floated is that if IndyRef2 hits then the Northern and possibly even the Western Isles seek to leave Scotland and the join the UK under their own independent nation. The UK would plough through any problems here politically and make it happen due to the equidistance principle.

This is a way of drawing maritime borders especially where there's two islands and bit of important resource in the middle, essentially saying what's closer to me is mine and what's closer to you is yours.

The problem Scotland have is that if the Islands were part of the UK, the oil deposits that are a major part of the Scottish plan wouldn't all go to Scotland. Here's an image, imagine if those Islands to the North East of Scotland were in the UK and we used a "what's closer to us is ours" principle. It wouldn't strip Scotland of all of its oil, but would strip it of a significant amount of it.

North-Sea-Oil-and-Gas-Fields.jpg

Not just the Northern fields, but it would also dip into the ones of the East coast of Scotland too. So they'd go from the above (well everything North of the English border anyway), to something that looks like this:

rLnFD1s.jpg

Decent sized change IMO.

You'll survive without the UK, of course you will. Nobody is stupid enough to run up the debt to extreme levels while maintaining those levels of public investment.

What WILL happen though as a consequence of independence is that free University will be gone almost immediately. Public service investment will take a hit in numerous areas. Scotland won't become a wasteland but it will not be as well of for investment as it is today.

Technically May is under no obligation at all to allow a Scottish referendum and could just bareface say "no" and that would be the end of it until we had a new PM who could do the same. The Scots can't declare their own referendum obviously, it has to be granted to them and there's little reason to do so.

She could refuse, but she can't. Hiw can an unelected Prime Minister refuse an elected one who has a manifesto pledge to adhere to?

She won't refuse, she will try to set the timing but that again is a dangerous game and will play into the hands of proof that regardless what we vote for means nothing if Westminster doesn't agree.

The ref should be after the deal is known, which will obviously be before we actually leave in two years. To think that we will hang about a further two years is not going to happen.

She could refuse, but she can't. Hiw can an unelected Prime Minister refuse an elected one who has a manifesto pledge to adhere to?

Because politicians break manifesto promises all the time and she has no legal obligation to do anything.

It's not like Scotland are going to invade York or something. They have no recourse outside of the PM allowing them a vote which she can do today, tomorrow or never.

She won't refuse, she will try to set the timing but that again is a dangerous game and will play into the hands of proof that regardless what we vote for means nothing if Westminster doesn't agree.

The ref should be after the deal is known, which will obviously be before we actually leave in two years. To think that we will hang about a further two years is not going to happen.

Sorry MP - but that is just so utterly barking mad.

Absolute nonsense derived from a level of wishful thinking that delusion sets in.

There is no way that May will fail to set the timing and there is no way that timing will precede the next GE and it is most probable that the hosting of Indyref2 will be set out in the manifestos of all parties. The vote will follow the GE and after a period of time to allow for the public to make informed decisions based on evidence - so at least 1 year.

Hence my comment that June 2021 looks good - there is simply no way, outside of an 'SNP wet dream' that the UK PM is going to allow distraction during the Brexit negotiation period and also no way the UK PM would allow an Indyref2 without a due period of time for campaigning.

There is an Abba song about having 'played all my cards' and having 'no more Ace to play' that comes to mind

Because politicians break manifesto promises all the time and she has no legal obligation to do anything.

It's not like Scotland are going to invade York or something. They have no recourse outside of the PM allowing them a vote which she can do today, tomorrow or never.

We just need to wIt and see. One things for sure, we aren't going to decide it and we just need to wait and watch the performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.