Sturgeon wants another referendum

I find it baffling the amount of rage and unpleasantness on here from mainly English people against Scotland daring to want to go it alone. Can anyone explain why you are so angry about this? I happen to think Sturgeon should be made to wait until after we Brexit but I can't understand for the life of me the bitterness towards her.
Because they already have special treatment despite not being a country for 310 years. The UK was finally formed on the backs of many old kingdoms - if everyone had the same level of devolvement that would be fair but we don't. Scottish indy calls are laden with selfishness and false sense of identity - the thought of this bollocks breaking up my country so wee Nicky Sturgeon can gloat about having her mug on the front of the sequel to Braveheart after it took nearly 1700 years to rebuild the common sense of Britishness thanks to invaders is angering yes.

Too many Scots are too short-sighted to see the problem has always been the societal chasms between the ruling elite/political establishment and the public rather than two sets of the same people under different banners.

Because they already have special treatment despite not being a country for 310 years. The UK was finally formed on the backs of many old kingdoms - if everyone had the same level of devolvement that would be fair but we don't. Scottish indy calls are laden with selfishness and false sense of identity - the thought of this bollocks breaking up my country so wee Nicky Sturgeon can gloat about having her mug on the front of the sequel to Braveheart after it took nearly 1700 years to rebuild the common sense of Britishness thanks to invaders is angering yes.

Too many Scots are too short-sighted to see the problem has always been the societal chasms between the ruling elite/political establishment and the public rather than two sets of the same people under different banners.

Great post.

I feel like you're misreading things.

A false sense of identity

What does this even mean? Scottishness doesn't exist? Clearly it does, now. Identities are not set in stone, they evolve and develop over time.

if everyone had the same level of devolvement that would be fair but we don't

I'm sorry but that's not our problem, it's yours. We live in a democracy, you can have devolution in the North of England, why not? If people want it enough, fight for it (not literally of course).

Too many Scots are too short-sighted to see the problem has always been the societal chasms between the ruling elite/political establishment and the public rather than two sets of the same people under different banners

For many folk up here it's the societal chasm that's the issue, rather than any sort of idealistic patriotism. Clearly there's an element of that also, but I think it's over-estimated. Before the referendum some of the polls went as low as 25% for independence, a portion (not all) of them will be your die-hard patriotic braveheart fannies.

SNP politicians are by enlarge much more relate-able to me (and Scottish politicians in general) and as a party it feels much more open and accessible. This is why you'll find people voting for the SNP who are not necessarily in favour of independence. They might not be perfect, but I at least feel that they actually represent us and are fighting our corner against the political elite. My local MP until recently was Mhairi Black, walk into any pub, shop or on any street and you'll find people just like her. I went to the same university as 'wee Nicky Sturgeon' (whose parents are an electrician and a dental nurse), as can almost anyone. She got married in a pub just down the road from me.

Again, I can only speak for myself and the people I know, we have nothing against England or Britain, or whatever. But when you continually see the likes of Theresa May, George Osbourne, David Cameron etc in Government, forgive us for feeling like Westminster does not really represent us or our best interests. When you see the UK voting for Brexit, it doesn't make us feel especially British.

Fair enough I can understand why people don't like the SNP, they're not on your side. You need to find your own representatives, don't be angry at us for having ours.

"......................ignoring the democratic rights of Scotland and that is very tricky.

It just is"

Well it just isn't for anyone in the 60m+ - fuck me what an over-blown sense of your own importance you SNP types have

You need to get over yourselves as we, the vast majority, simply don't give much of a fuck about your demands

If that's true then why don't you say well you did vote for it so FairPlay. Brexut shouldn't be our issue because you voted for it we didn't. We made it a ref trigger and said what we would do.

We know that. But that policy could be the very thing that swings it.

She has to be careful she isn't acting exactly like we say she will.

It's a judgement call. Undermine the Scottish democratic process to that extent then Holyrood is a sham. That will lead to much gnashing of teeth up here and whose camp do you think that helps?

She may be able to make it very difficult by refusing and throwing a punch of authority.

The punch coming the other way is an unelected PrimeMinister ignoring the democratic rights of Scotland and that is very tricky.

It just is.
Have you ever thought that the majority in Scotland that voted no last time quite enjoy Theresa May telling wee Nic to fuck off re Indy ref 2? I know I am.

Have you ever thought that the majority in Scotland that voted no last time quite enjoy Theresa May telling wee Nic to fuck off re Indy ref 2? I know I am.

Yes I have. And it may well turn out that way. That's not the point I'm making.

I'm making the point that it has a mandate and it's a manifesto pledge.

Not what the outcome will be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.