Stuttgart make 7.9 million bid for pablo maffeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's so about Sancho, why are Sky talking about him being an outside chance for the senior England squad for this summers WC?

The way they were rapping on about him, I assumed he was nailed on for Germany Player of the Year....

Dortmund are already hyping him for the next big transfer out.

We should bring him back home. What's the point in the academy if guys like this can't come through? He has more than proved himself capable. Physically he is ready. Technically, he is good enough. I don't mind Danilo, but I'd get rid of him in a heartbeat if it means giving Maffeo an opportunity at the club. At some point we need to give the kids a chance or else we'll be unable to attract the best young talent. We've already lost Sancho. Brahim and Foden will follow unless the club gives them reason to believe that they have a future here.

Our team is a winning team, no one has a right to a place in it.

I agree that nearly all academy players simply want a career at the highest level which doesn't have to be at City. It would be great if every season moving forward one or two academy players play regularly for the first team but the competition is so fierce that I can see the loan, 1st option or buy back more likely as Tolmie suggested with Sancho. Real are the most successful CL team over the past 3 seasons and I don't believe they have a single regular first teamer who has graduated straight from the academy.

Precisely.

Well, Sancho has played eleven matches for bvb this season, about half of them as a starter.

Foden has appeared for City nine times (probably started a bit less) but was also injured for the part of the season when he might have been expected to play more.

Brahim has appeared eight times.

Sancho has played a little bit more, but it's not a massive difference. It's not as if his move to BVB has catapulted him into the first XI. They're all in the same boat, at big clubs, learning and being eased in.

Sancho has played 594 minutes in the Bundesliga. Foden has played 37 minutes in the Premier League. Brahim has played 38 minutes. Looks like a pretty big difference to me. But the point is that Sancho felt he needed to leave to progress his career. Unless we give the youngsters reason to believe that there is an opportunity for them here then they’ll come to the same conclusion.

He's gone to play in a one team league for team that might fail to make the CL next season and is 29 points behind the first place team and and 5 behind the 2nd and only 3 in front of the 4th and 5th place sides. He's gone to play for a weaker team, that's has, and always be a selling club. You point seems to be young players have a right to play in the first team, regardless of the outcome, that defies logic and harps of a belief in the "Medals for everyone" attitude.

No, you misrepresented what I have said. I don’t think that Foden or Brahim are physically ready. However, Maffeo is physically ready and has proved himself more than capable in a competitive league. Right now Danilo is his only obstacle to playing for us. So the decision to be made is to whether to keep Danilo and sell Maffeo (I don’t think he has long left on his contract) or take a small risk and give Maffeo the chance to play regular football here.

The point that I was making with regards to Foden, Brahim and Sancho was that the club has given them little reason to be optimistic of their chances at breaking through here. Only Iheanacho has been promoted from the academy to the senior squad and was quickly sold. We now have a situation where we must choose between two players of a similar quality. They’re different players, granted, but I would not say that Danilo is a much better player than Maffeo. If Maffeo can’t make it then what does that say for the others?

It’s time that the club took a small chance on one of our own.

I think it's the logical thing to do, if he comes back he's already behind Walker and Danilo, sell him to Stuttgart, let him have 3 years in the bundesliga, buy him back when Danilo/ Walker are out the door. The only downside is I think it might spark a new wave to Germany, if I was an 18/19 year old in the EDS I'd be looking to Germany now, not much opportunity for them in the next 3/4 years I don't think, especially if someone as talented as Maffeo might not find a place in the squad.

It wouldn’t be a bad move for him, shades of Carvajal from a few years back. If a buy back price is agreed then it’s a no brainier.

Bundesliga is a good place to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.