Succession to greatness

Zabbasbeard

Team supported
Manchester City
I'm trying not to do this but I see City now and I look back at what we are missing. We've been blessed in the past by great players like David Silva, Yaya Toure, Pablo Zabaleta and Vincent Kompany. Last season we really missed Vincent Kompany - a once in a lifetime leader, captain and central defender. City have done well to bring in Ruben Dias and he is forming a rock solid partnership with Aymeric Laporte. Kyle Walker didn't have a good game yesterday but he has served us well over 3 years and has been otherwise excellent this season. Joao Cancelo was our stand out performer yesterday.

City looked solid defensively for most of yesterday's game, but lacked the cutting edge and thrust to penetrate Liverpool and get at their weak defence. Yes we missed David Silva yesterday. We might not sign a player as good as David Silva but we must try, because the creative burden cannot and should not fall on one man. Not even Kevin De Bruyne who is looking jaded. Phil Foden is still young and was rightly taken out of the firing line after a poor display in midweek. In recent years we have always had at least two experienced play makers. In 2011-12 and up to 2013-14 David Silva, Samir Nasri and Yaya Toure provided the lion's share of the craft. Most recently David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne. This is not merely a case looking back, misty-eyed at a great era. Sometimes we have to look back to learn. Bernardo Silva was added to the mix and had a great season in 2018-19 followed by a poor one. With Foden, like many a youngster, inconsistent, and De Bruyne tiring and suffering muscles strains under the weight of two games a week as well as sustaining knocks to go with a legacy of injuries, Bernardo must be given the opportunity to step up. Even so, the search must surely be on for a playmaker to succeed David Silva.

He set a great standard that is difficult to match, but that does not mean that we shouldn't try.

Little fella from Argentina en route mate. All will be well.
For a season mate then we search again . Messi is not the long term answer and for the money it’s gonna take we would be better looking for a long term answer.

Last edited:
David Silva didn't arrive a 10/10 player in that position, he grew into it. Bernardo Silva and Phil Foden are two of the biggest prospects in world football. The impatience in our fan base has gotten ridiculous.

Given we seem to have at last sorted out the defence (until Walker loses pace), imagine how amazing we'd be if we added Sancho and Haaland as an attacking unit with Jesus and Sterling, KDB providing the service. I wish the club would go all out just for those two young stars, we'd be set for years up front.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.