Summerbee prank on Mercer?

marvidinho

Bloke I know posted this on one of the “Fans Memories” Facebook groups. Can’t find anything anywhere to corroborate it. Views? I’m not aware of Joe ever having had a heart attack.

“Been threatening to tell this for some time, but have been trying to discover whether it’s true or not. The guy I THOUGHT told me it says he didn’t - so I’ll chuck it out there and maybe someone else can confirm it - otherwise it might just have to remain an urban myth (started by me lol).

So Franny Lee, Mike Sumerbee and Colin Bell were a very tight-knit group of Senior Pros at Man City - and they loved Joe Mercer, but they also loved playing jokes on him apparently.

The story I heard was that the boys plus one other (who I can’t recall) were familiar with his route home from training, and they shot off quickly to get ahead of him. They parked their car part-way up a slope resting against a tree, then opened the doors, hung out of the car as if injured/dead, covered in tomato sauce. Joe drives by and has a heart attack as a large part of his senior squad lie injured, possibly dead in a car wreck .

If someone can confirm this story I’d be very grateful. If someone can debunk it because they know Franny or Mike - I’ll happily stop telling it. Wish I could remember who it was that told me it - it was someone with a City connection, but not the one I thought.”

I saw Summerbee about five or six years ago when he was the guest speaker of a club I'm a memeber of. He told the tale about Harry Dowd making more money doing "foreigners" on a Saturday than playing football. Apparently Joe Mercer said to Harry in the team talk before an Arsenal game, words to the effect that, if Harry could be bothered Arsenal are the ones in red and white:-)

I saw Summerbee about five or six years ago when he was the guest speaker of a club I'm a memeber of. He told the tale about Harry Dowd making more money doing "foreigners" on a Saturday than playing football. Apparently Joe Mercer said to Harry in the team talk before an Arsenal game, words to the effect that, if Harry could be bothered Arsenal are the ones in red and white:-)
Harry Dowd was a qualified plumber so that fits. As an aside his rather odd nickname in the dressing room was Cement Head.

I don't know about the story in the OP, but there was one wind-up of Mercer by the players that I remember reading about. It was when they were on a plane travelling to or from a European tie.

Mercer was sitting up front next to some unknown bloke who wasn't part of the City group. The players passed a note to him saying that the guy was a suspected hijacker and Joe needed to keep him talking. Cue two hours of a bemused random stranger being subjected to the City manager's attempts at small talk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.