Sun glasses advice

I would go for polarised lenses as they cut out glare. If not on a budget then I can highly recommend Serengeti. Mine have photochromic, polarised lenses that work superbly and sharpen everything up even in dull weather.

I wear glasses for driving at night and watching tv so my sunglasses don’t need to be prescription. I’ve had the same pair or raybans for 12 years and they cost $120. They wanted $600 for prescription Oakleys at the time. I went to Mexico and bought a pair of foux kleys for $5.00

What are these Polaroid glasses of which you speak? Polarized is what I think you mean. They cut glare and are great for outdoors and fishing, but not good for driving.

Serengetis are great, as they cut glare and sharpen colors by blocking some of the blue light. But, they’re not inexpensive.

Transitions lenses (photochromatic) are SLOOOOW to respond to the transitions. When you go from light area to dark areas, it takes a while for the lenses to go back to clear, but more importantly they take a while to darken in bright light.

You have one set of eyes, and when they go bad, sometimes even money can’t fix them, so don’t skimp on them.

I now wear prescription progressive Randolphs in the cockpit (5-6 years), but wore Ray Ban Grey lenses for about 20 years. Even if you don’t need prescription lenses, I highly recommend Randolph glasses. I have two pairs...prescription & non-prescription.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Real men spend 5 euros with the looky looky man and squint when they drive. We also lift our foot higher than needed when confronted with steps.

What are these Polaroid glasses of which you speak? Polarized is what I think you mean. They cut glare and are great for outdoors and fishing, but not good for driving.

Serengetis are great, as they cut glare and sharpen colors by blocking some of the blue light. But, they’re not inexpensive.

Transitions lenses (photochromatic) are SLOOOOW to respond to the transitions. When you go from light area to dark areas, it takes a while for the lenses to go back to clear, but more importantly they take a while to darken in bright light.

You have one set of eyes, and when they go bad, sometimes even money can’t fix them, so don’t skimp on them.

I now wear prescription progressive Randolphs in the cockpit (5-6 years), but wore Ray Ban Grey lenses for about 20 years. Even if you don’t need prescription lenses, I highly recommend Randolph glasses. I have two pairs...prescription & non-prescription.

Good luck with your decision.
I think a lot get confused with the Polaroid sunglasses/glasses brand and the type 'polarised', seems to have become accepted - even if incorrect - over here, a bit like Hoover and Tannoy brand names for their products. Maybe got worse ever since Reactolite became Reactions/Transitions/Photochromatic/polarised. Too complicated.

I've tried various of these but find they either don't go dark enough when driving or in UK winter daylight and I end up looking ... seedy. So I have 3 pairs on the go ...

1) A pair of dark sunglasses for driving (need upgrading to varifocals now so I can see the dashboard), think these are Ralph Lauren brand but just normal frames with tinted lenses.
2) A pair of clear varifocals for everyday use - cheap unbranded shop make but extremely light and comfortable. I can fall asleep in these and wake up and they're still on.
3) A pair of Reactions varifocals for when wandering outside and into shops. Tommy Hilfiger.

Plus all the spares I've got lying about.

To the OP, one thing with sunglasses is get ones with moulded nose rests, not the type with the nose pads held in with little screws. Easier to clean. Also go with the thinnest lenses every time and the scratch resistance and anti-glare.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.