Sun glasses advice

Reactions/Transitions/Photochromatic just don't work for driving. They react to light hitting them, and in a car (unless a convertible) that doesn't happen.
They are great if you are out shopping and want them to lighten when you enter a shop for example. Then darken when you go back outside. The downside is the reaction isn't instant.

I find a quality polarized pair to be the better solution. As mentioned they not only protect your eyes from UV, but they help cut refracted/reflected light, meaning less eye strain and clearer vision.

I've never spent big on any pair for holidays. There is just too much chance of the getting lost or damaged.
I wouldn't also go with the cheapest option either. You have no idea if they are really protecting your eyes from UV or have been tested correctly.

Last edited:
I use sunglasses for fly fishing where you are looking to eliminate light reflection from water and be able to pick out a small fly at 20 yards or more so they are an important bit of kit. I have used bolle in the past but prefer my current maui jim. I have to use prescription so they are not cheap but I wouldn't be without them.

One thing i never understand is how somebody can spend hundreds on a pair of shades, then doesn't even bother to clean them when covered in fingerprints and suntan lotion.
My wife's even like this with her reading glasses. I've had to borrow them now and again and it's like looking through a foxes glacier mint!

Last year after wearing crap sunglasses all my life and mostly losing them on the day I bought them I decided I was going to buy a proper pair and take care of them.
I bought a pair of Ray ban Justin for around £100.
Until I put the other half's Ted Baker's on which I bought her from TK Max for £30.00 I never realised how shit Ray ban's were.
The clarity and the job they are supposed to do, shield your eyes from the sun was 100% better from her Ted Baker's. In a nutshell Ray ban are shite.

I've never worn sunglasses probably because I wear glasses anyway. And there's no need for them unless you are a pilot of a fighter plane trying to wank men off in the showers.

As for the ones that go dark then light. Paedos favourite bit of kit. Easier to pick out boys in darkened huts.

Also, if you wear glasses but don't get prescription ones then you have to wear two types. And always carry them both around.

Like a nonce.

Last edited:
I've lost sunglasses totalling thousands of Swiss Francs over the years. I usually have 2 pair at any time, one cheaper & one nicer or more stylish but I now cap sunglass purchases at 100 CHF. Not sure a brand is as vital as is the protection (UV & possibly polarized?), from there it's the usual parameters - fit, size & style.

I have not always bothered with getting sunglasses because I wear correction glasses all the time. But recently, I am having a real bad time driving around with sunlight directly into my eyes.
Can anyone here help me out with what kind of sunglasses I should look for? Ray-ban, Oakley, Prizm, Polaroid, etc. etc. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and are they worth it?

Thanks.

Use them all the time Brilliant .... look for the Specsavers second pair free offers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.