Sunday football teams, now gone....

pride in battle

Anyone on here used to play Sunday football in the era of great teams, great leagues?
I used to play for the Joiners Libs, early 80's in the Salford Sunday League....6 divisions, now all gone...some really good players played at that level on some really shitty pitches, ie Littleton Rd, anyway any memories? Apart from the football there was some real characters, incidents...remember a guy once coming on the pitch with a sawn off shotgun!!!

I played for the Cleveland late 80's so probably played against you. Littleton road has had new changing facilities but whenever I'm down there, playing for vets in Bolton league, there's only about half a dozen games being played. No one really bothers now.

inchy14 said:
I played for the Cleveland late 80's so probably played against you. Littleton road has had new changing facilities but whenever I'm down there, playing for vets in Bolton league, there's only about half a dozen games being played. No one really bothers now.
To be honest I stopped playing Sunday football about 1988, I was playing semi pro Saturdays so they wouldn't allow you to play Sundays, the demise in Amateur football is staggering, I still play Monday night football, over 35 league, full size pitch and I have just turned 50 which I am chuffed with as that was a goal of mine to be playing at that age....my standard has dropped dramatically though :-)

Hough end and the Snooty Fox later the Mersey lights.I was in the navy so couldn't really sign up for a team but used to get a game if they were short of a player or two.

Once i took my boots and they had a full compliment.On the next pitch i kicked the ball back to another team on there and the guy had sailed with me and recognised me.They were a man short so i played up front for them,Alma Park it was and scored their equaliser 5 minutes from the end.It was only one of a few points they got all season as they were relegated,happy days,lol!

inchy14 said:

Littleton Road has been branded as Salford Soccer City. They have one full size 3g pitch and a couple of smaller ones. There is a grass pitch at the back, but no one seems to use it anymore.

Blue Punter said:
inchy14 said:

Littleton Road has been branded as Salford Soccer City. They have one full size 3g pitch and a couple of smaller ones. There is a grass pitch at the back, but no one seems to use it anymore.

There's dozens of pitches still behind, hardly ever used, we were using drink water park couple of years back and ref deemed it unplayable so we went there and had a choice of pitches.

inchy14 said:
Blue Punter said:
inchy14 said:

There's dozens of pitches still behind, hardly ever used, we were using drink water park couple of years back and ref deemed it unplayable so we went there and had a choice of pitches.

We used the one at the back of the changing rooms and the grass was longer than you'd find on a rugby pitch.

Some of those pitches on Brookhouse (Eccles league) were a disgrace.

Played for the corpy in guide bridge for years in tameside prem. our home pitch was oxford park (dogshit park)great pitch, massive, good crowd watching but covered in dogshit. We got there one morning and a bloke was dragging his Alsatian off the centre circle whilst it tried to snap one off , another time our striker slid full length right through one in front of me funny as fook.
Still playing in oz and the pitches out here are miles better and full every week

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.