Sven Goran Eriksson | Passes away from cancer aged 76 (p 32)

At the helm for one of the most memorable days of my City supporting life, my first day as a season ticket holder in August 2007 with a 1-0 win at home against United. Happy to have shared that day with Sven, and will always be a good man in my books.
And at the helm for the return at the swamp when we won 2-1. Two of us FOCs telling the youngsters that we were also there 34 years earlier when we'd last won at the crumbling dump.

Imagine how much better those early takeover years would have been if Sven was the man in charge and not Hughes. Actually, scratch that for a second, imagine what we could have done before the takeover if Thaksin hadn't slowly turned against Sven from January onwards in 2008. Ol' Blue Eyes had us 4th at Christmas with half of Pearce's squad still hanging around in the dressing room. We'd have always dropped off eventually - but we were 7th the day we did the Manchester derby double at Old Trafford, and we only dropped to 9th on the final day when the secret was out about Thaksin and none of our players could make a tackle for fear of us losing out on a UEFA Cup spot.

That following season when we brought in the likes of Zabaleta, Robinho, De Jong, Kompany, et al, we'd have finished higher than 10th with such a quality squad, that's for sure. Another top 6-8 finish would have absolutely been on the cards. And then can you imagine what Sven could have achieved with Tevez, Adebayor, Barry, and Lescott? Bet he'd have even got a proper tune out of Robinho as well. We'd probably just have fallen short of a Champions League spot in 09/10 anyway, at which point Mancini would have been hired I'm sure, but we had a good run at the League Cup that year and who knows what could have happened in Europe with a proper manager like Sven in charge.

I guess we'll never know. But what I'm trying to say is that Sven deserved better treatment from City and he'd have worked well with more backing from the board. That man came into a club that was on its knees and arse simultaneously, a bored fanbase falling out of love with coming to the stadium, and a team full of pensioners and young players with almost no in between - except for the Tuscan Wonder and Fenugreek up front. He flooded the team with new blood in a fortnight and got us playing to a proper tune for the first time in years. The most exciting time to be a Blue since Keegan's promotion season almost a decade beforehand.

On that opening day against West Ham, I was on a beach in Wales. We had the game on 5Live and the signal was a bit dodgy. The commentator was talking about all this "free-flowing football" he was seeing and we thought he was talking about the Hammers until Bianchi scored. I lived off that Elano free-kick vs Newcastle for years afterwards. And later on that season, when Ireland scored the last-minute winner against Reading, I genuinely thought we'd never lose at home again. I was only 13 and I was obviously wrong about that, but that's the kind of belief that came flooding back to City after all those years. I still remember, "City are back! City are back! Hello, hello!"

The Sheikh didn't arrive for another 12 months but Sven's season was the proper start of the fightback. 11 wins at home in the league and only four defeats. 37 points overall from games at the COMS - our best home record in the Premier League era at the time and only one point short of our home record in Pellegrini's final season. A Manchester derby double, proper exciting players we'd never heard of before like Elano and Petrov, unbeaten at home until February, competitive with the bigger boys despite having no proper striker or goalkeeper basically all season. He steadied the ship quickly and pointed it back in the right direction after years in the doldrums.

Above all though, he brought people back in droves. Some of our attendances in that last Pearce season were shocking - as low as 36,000 for some games with big sections of blue seats on show. But the majority of games under Sven were packed out at 47,000. I remember them offering those half-season cards out around Christmas because people were desperate to come and see us play every week again. I'll never forget the night we beat Bolton 4-2 and we left the ground to news that we were gonna sign Riquelme and Ludovic Giuly in January. They were never gonna come but the excitement was enough and a sign that things were finally, finally on the up again.

It's shit we'll never get to give him a proper send-off. He deserved us all clapping him and thanking him on the last day against West Ham - what team more appropriate? Gutted it didn't happen.
Really good post and a lot of heart put in to it.

I'd got back from Disneyland Paris the morning of the West Ham game and went to pick up the developed photos during it. I sat outside the Max Speilman shop with a sausage roll listening to the radio and couldn't believe what I was hearing. That white kit, the names, the knowledge we had Sven - it all felt so fresh and exciting.

I knew about Petrov because I've always had a soft spot for Atletico Madrid but the rest of them, I didn't have a clue.

West Ham Away was class. Can still see Geo’s goal going in at our end.

It ended badly but I’ve largely got good memories of that season. Did the double over the rags too.
Nedum dribbling his way through the entire West Ham team before laying it off to Geo. Then pandemonium.

I was on a cricket pitch in Stiffkey, Norfolk when Geo also scored the only goal against United. The locals were surprised to see the visiting wicketkeeper randomly leaping in the air when my wife shouted out the final result

I watched the Amazon documentary last night. It is very good apart from it deals with his time with us in about three nano seconds. That apart it’s sensitively done and demonstrates really well how venal the press were towards him. I had forgotten just how successful he was in Italy as well. Testament from Rooney and others about how loved he was by the England players. It was a fitting record of a fine man’s life in football.

We were passing the Raddisson one evening the night before we played Arsenal at home. He was sat in a window seat with (I think) Bianchi and his family and like the tourists we were we stopped short with our gobs open. Sven noticed and gave us a smile and a wave. It made our evening.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.