Sven interview on his time at City

Citizen Green

Sven-Goran Eriksson admits Shinawatra strain at Manchester City

Eriksson left Eastlands in summer 2008 after only one season at the club

The former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has told BBC Radio Manchester of his problems he had with former City chairman Thaksin Shinawatra.
The 62-year-old, now in charge at Leicester City, lasted only one year at Eastlands after joining in July 2007.
He said: "His biggest problem was that he didn't understand football at all and he didn't realise that.
"He thought football was easy just tell the players to be aggressive and we will resolve all the problems."
"I think we did well in the whole league more or less until Thaksin decided I had to go at the end of the season," he added.
"Every time we lost he never spoke to me for a week after but when we won it was dinner and very nice hugs and things, so it's difficult to work with people like that."

Every time we lost he never spoke to me for a week after
Sven-Goran Eriksson on former City chairman Thaksin Shinawatra
Leicester meet Manchester City in the third round of the FA Cup this weekend and it will be the first time Eriksson has faced his former club since he left in the summer of 2008.
Eriksson also gave BBC Radio Manchester's 'In the Spotlight' programme an insight into what he thought was his biggest mistake during his time at the club.
"We brought in six or seven players and we got it right except one and that was my fault.

"Rolando Bianchi, he didn't suit English football - he did OK but he was not as good as I hoped."
The Italian striker joined City for £8.8m from Reggina but struggled to settle to life in the Premier League and was loaned out to Lazio after just five months.
Since leaving Manchester City the Swede has gone on to manage Mexico, Notts County, and Ivory Coast at the World Cup. He is currently manager of Championship side Leicester City.
Eriksson also discusses his time as England manager, the media perception of him and his current work at Leicester City.

Full interview available here
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00ctjqm/Manchester_Sports_In_The_Spotlight_SvenGoran_Eriksson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... _Eriksson/</a>

It amazes me that some people still blame Sven for the 8-1 at boro. The real surprise is that he held the team together until then with all the shit that was going on behind the scenes.

Not wanting to revive what is thankfully now an old debate, but anyone who has any real idea of what was happening at City in those days knows that the manager, the board and the players were working under ridiculous conditions.

It's scary to think that the days of Shinawatra were only 2 years ago. Sven did well with what he had.

mammutly said:
It amazes me that some people still blame Sven for the 8-1 at boro. The real surprise is that he held the team together until then with all the shit that was going on behind the scenes.

Not wanting to revive what is thankfully now an old debate, but anyone who has any real idea of what was happening at City in those days knows that the manager, the board and the players were working under ridiculous conditions.
Talking about this with Bernard Halford the other night. He didn't tell me this but I know that there was a meeting late on in the season involving Thaksin and his aide, Sven, Mackintosh and a couple of others.

Thaksin started off saying to Sven "Why did we finish below Aston Villa. We should be above them." Sven replied quite calmly that they'd spent more but, more importantly, O'Neill had a season longer to work with them and this was important.

Thaksin didn't accept this and shouted that for all the money we'd spent (i.e. borrowed) that we should be finishing above teams like Villa. Mackintosh then talked about their spending compared to ours but Thaksin didn't want to hear that and went off on one, picking up and throwing a vase in the general direction of Sven. This was our owner.

Bernard was fairly diplomatic about the 29 managers he'd worked with but it was clear Sven was one of his favourites and he made a big impression on everyone at the club. Wish he'd stayed with us (no disrespect intended to Hughes or Mancini).

SaveOurSven_468x315.jpg

Prestwich_Blue said:
mammutly said:

Talking about this with Bernard Halford the other night. He didn't tell me this but I know that there was a meeting late on in the season involving Thaksin and his aide, Sven, Mackintosh and a couple of others.

Thaksin started off saying to Sven "Why did we finish below Aston Villa. We should be above them." Sven replied quite calmly that they'd spent more but, more importantly, O'Neill had a season longer to work with them and this was important.

Thaksin didn't accept this and shouted that for all the money we'd spent (i.e. borrowed) that we should be finishing above teams like Villa. Mackintosh then talked about their spending compared to ours but Thaksin didn't want to hear that and went off on one, picking up and throwing a vase in the general direction of Sven. This was our owner.

Bernard was fairly diplomatic about the 29 managers he'd worked with but it was clear Sven was one of his favourites and he made a big impression on everyone at the club. Wish he'd stayed with us (no disrespect intended to Hughes or Mancini).

I've heard similar stories - and not all of Thaksin's antics were confined to boardroom meetings. He did take his rantings into the dressing room. I believe it is another 3 years before Wardle is able to go public about any of the events of the Thaksin era, but any City fan who believes the man in any way saved the club is completely wrong.

Bernard Halford has always been a City man - a fan as well as a true gentleman. I've met him a couple of times. Honest as they come IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.