Swindon Town (A) - FA Cup 3rd Round - Fri 7th Jan, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCFC1993

Live on ITV1 (UK). Kick off @ 20:00 (GMT).

A 6 day rest seems like forever after the recent hectic schedule. This falls in-between a 14 day Premier League rest when we play Chelsea on Sat 15th Jan, Chelsea play 4 times in this period.

Swindon are having a good season so far and currently sit in a playoff spot, 5th in League 2. They beat 2nd place Northampton 5-2 today, so they come into this one in high spirits.

We have met 22 times in our history, 14 City wins, 3 draws and 5 losses. We last met, in the FA Cup in 2002, we won 2-0 with Wanchope and Horlock scoring the goals. It's a special game for Mike Summerbee who played 244 times for Swindon and of course 451 times for City.

It's a good chance to target the FA Cup given we haven't had the stress of the League Cup but it all depends on the draw.

I think we have to rotate and give players who have played nearly every game a rest, thinking of Bernardo, Cancelo, Dias in particular.

FA Cup replays have been removed for the 3rd & 4th round just for this season due to covid and possible fixture congestion. It will go to extra time and then penalties.

9 subs can be named, 5 subs across 3 intervals permitted, 1 additional sub for extra time.

There is no VAR.

Absentee News
Foden - 'short of fitness' - probably won't be available
Stones - 'short of fitness' - may be available
Zinchenko - 'short of fitness' - unsure
Mahrez - AFCON
7 Players (might include those above)
14 staff (including Pep and Lillo)

Screenshot 2022-01-01 at 18.55.41.png

Last edited:
A week rest both before and after this tie. Anyone expecting lots of youngsters will probably be disappointed. It will probably be full strength to keep momentum. Hopefully a McAtee and Palmer cameo off the bench

Last edited:
Great with some much needed rest and the start of an FA cup adventure after positioning ourselves nicely in the league

Pep should give the lads a rest, give Stones, Walker and others fit enough after illness a run out, but I would give the kids a run out in the main, if fit. If we lose, no real grief, but for me this is a bit like when we played Newport a few years ago, we should be able to get through because of the City mentality, and give the first teamers a bit of a midwinter break before Chelsea. Repeat of 2000 result will do.

Steffan
Walker
Mbette
Ake
Wilson -Esbrand
Rodri
Gundo
Grealish
Palmer
Kayky
Jesus

Experiment while keeping middlefield strong

Rodri and walker just back so give them game time if stones fit swap him out for either CB

I doubt we'll see this many changes but some key players could do with an extended rest.

Steffen
Walker
Mbete
Aké
Wilson-Esbrand
Fernandinho
Lavia
McAtee
Palmer
Grealish
Jesus

Actually think quite a lot of players will be rested, coming off this intense period but I thought that before Leipzig so

Is there extra time if it’s level? I assume it wouldn’t be straight to pens? Hypothetically if course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.