Tactical discussion

simon23

Team supported
ManCity
Ive given this thread thiis thread the title "tactical discussion cause I dont want it to turn into an arguement between the mancini innners and outers.

Im basing this on what Ive seen so far and hoping for input from those who have seen pellers sides play mroe than I have.

Basics : at the moment we seem to be playing a fluid variation of 4-4-2.......for me this is an outdated system (one we have criticised the likes of utd and spurs for playing over the last 2 years) but more importantly it doesnt work for us and it causes our midfield 2 to get over run plus we have no natural wide left player (our only true wide player being Navas)........

SO is this pellers normal way of playing or is he just using it till the players get use to his ways or am I wrong in seeing it as a 4-4-2 (as even when silva has played he is being played predominately from the left as was nasri today)

Also Im seeing a downturn in certain players performances....zabba is the most noticeable. Yaya is also sitting deeper and deeper and basically playing as a deep lying play maker which while he can play and is undoubtedly good at it isnt getting the best out of him.

We also seem to be playing more long balls as well.......I know we are trying to move the ball quicker but I really dont want to see us hitting long passes.....yaya tried a few as did kolorov and rodwell and most were overhit....(but maybe that is just down to my perssonel preference.

We seem very flat acciross the midfield (no depth no one running in between the lines etc) and as has been discussed to death our pressing game seems to be leaving us wide open at the back and a previous solid back 4 is now looking very very shakey (and Im not excepting of the excuse this is purely down to missing Kompany - and IF this is the reason then why wasnt it sorted during the transfer window??????)

I was told that Pellers teams always played really attractive football but Im really not seeing this at the moment - so is the way we are playign now a taste of what we can expect in the future (in terms of style of play)?????????

I dont want to turn this into a mancini vs pellers thread but was just lokoing for input from people who have maybe seen pellers sides play more than I have

Edit: for what its worth (and i know there has to be squad rotation at times) but this for me is outr strongest set up and starting 11

--------------------Hart--------------------------

Richards------Komps------Nasty---------Clichy

------------------------Rodwell---------------------------

----------------Ferd------------Yaya----------------------------------

-------------------------Silva-----------------------------------------

----Navas/nasri/jovetic (Roaming wing to wing) - replace by milner if you want more of a defensive set up)
------------------------Aguero

I know there is a lack of width there (except if navas is on as the other two arent wide players at all) but we are much more solid a powerful midfield which will allow yaya and ferd to press knowing that rodwell (who can also press) is protecting the back 4. Richards offers pace and power down the right hand side but can be easily replaced by zabba if needed

the players it is hardest on is dzeko and negrado who will have to start most games on the bench plus nasri, jovetic ad navas who are fighting it out for one place

bump

just because it seems to be being ignored because of the usual fighting between the usual suspects....lets talk about football instead of people for a change eh??????????

ManCitizens. said:
We've played 442 since the beginning of our title winning season.

for me under mancini we played like this

-----------------gk----------------------------

--------------back 4

----holding mids 1/2 of them-------------------

----------yaya ---------silva

------------------tevez

-----------------aguero/dzeko

for me we never played 4-4-2 we had more layers/depth in the team

ManCitizens. said:

Nonsense.

We played a hell of a lot of 4-2-3-1 under Mancini.

Anyway, in relation to the thread, our problem is in central midfield. I can't believe MP hasn't changed system during a game to the Yaya advanced role. Beggars belief.

Rammy Blue said:
ManCitizens. said:

Nonsense.

Anyway, in relation to the thread, our problem is in central midfield. I can't believe MP hasn't changed system during a game to the Yaya advanced role. Beggars belief.

It was 442 or 4222 with a lot of movement. Our midfield 4 would often be a Yaya/ Barry partnership in the middle with Silva on the right and Nasri on the left. Towards the end of the game we'd usually take a striker off for a midfielder and push Yaya forward to make a 4231.

ManCitizens. said:
Rammy Blue said:
ManCitizens. said:

Nonsense.

It was 442 or 4222 with a lot of movement. Our midfield 4 would often be a Yaya/ Barry partnership in the middle with Silva on the right and Nasri on the left. Towards the end of the game we'd usually take a striker off for a midfielder and push Yaya forward to make a 4231.

I take your point

it was never a 4-4-2 in terms of

gk

x-----x---x-----x

x-----x----x------x

----x-----x--------

which is how we seem to be playing now which is why i said we seem to have a very basic set up and a very flat (no depth) in midfield........occasionally when aguero came on he was dropping deep playing the role that tevez did (but he isnt as good at playing that and again for me is wasted in doing so) and Jovetic (though he can be forgiven for this) was never in the game really

ManCitizens. said:
Rammy Blue said:
ManCitizens. said:

Nonsense.

We started with Yaya advanced plenty of times.

Rammy Blue said:
ManCitizens. said:
Rammy Blue said:
Nonsense.

We started with Yaya advanced plenty of times.

Not in big games. Purely from memory, Yaya started alongside Barry in both the 6.1 and 1.0 v the rags. The 5.1 at Spurs. The 1.0 v Arsenal, the 2.1 v Chelsea and the 3.0 at home to Liverpool. He was at the ACON at home to Spurs so couldn't play.

Most of the time we started 2 of Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli or Tevez. Silva always played and Nasri started about 80% of games that season. Yaya was deep until late on when other teams tired.

Was extremely confident before the start of the season that we would win back the league or at least come close but the way we have started the season it looks more like we will be fighting for the top 4 rather the title, early days yet though plus United and Chelsea haven't exactly set the ground on fire although they have had a much more difficult set of fixtures compared to us.

Disappointed we're still playing the very unbalanced and narrow 4-4-2 that Mancini always used to play, it was effective for the first half half of the 2011-2012 season but since then (excluding the 6 game winning run that won us the league) we've been pretty ordinary for a while and have been a disaster in Europe.

We desperately need a pacy left winger imo to give us balance,put Navas on the other wing with Silva behind the striker.

........................Yaya.....................Fernandinho......................

Navas............................Silva............................LW......................

.................................Negredo/Aguero...............................

At the moment we have to many square pegs in round holes, although I rate him Milner is a disaster on the wing, he creates nothing. Teams are overrunning our midfield two and Silva isn't a winger.

We look a million miles away from the likes of Barce, Dortmund, Munich, Madrid etc which is quite sad really considering the money we have spent. Having said that I do think all our new signings though are excellent and once we have a settled formation we will see them shine but it will take time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.