Taiwan Plane crash

Unless there are extenuating circumstances about which we do not currently know, this should have been a completely survivable engine failure that none of us would have ever known about.

The fact that it wasn't, and that the aircraft is heading into the water in a steep bank, suggests it was the common after-effects of poor engine failure aircraft control that every pilot has seen and few ever forget after doing it even once in a simulator.

If the pilot had control, he should have flown it. He clearly didn't, and this is what it looks like when the proverbial shit hits the fan in aviation. This is why you pay to fly on big airlines with good safety records in world class aircraft. Not that it can't happen to them, but the odds are far better than an airline that has five crashes in recent memory.

ChicagoBlue said:
Unless there are extenuating circumstances about which we do not currently know, this should have been a completely survivable engine failure that none of us would have ever known about.

The fact that it wasn't, and that the aircraft is heading into the water in a steep bank, suggests it was the common after-effects of poor engine failure aircraft control that every pilot has seen and few ever forget after doing it even once in a simulator.

If the pilot had control, he should have flown it. He clearly didn't, and this is what it looks like when the proverbial shit hits the fan in aviation. This is why you pay to fly on big airlines with good safety records in world class aircraft. Not that it can't happen to them, but the odds are far better than an airline that has five crashes in recent memory.

Shut down the wrong engine! :-(

Not the first time and won't be the last.

Yep, I heard that on the DVR excerpt that has been released. Lost the right and then shut down the left, losing airspeed and altitude and pax said they felt the shudder...may have been the onset of a stall or the impact with the car and bridge, I don't know, but it definitely looks like it was a completely avoidable accident.

We make a point NOT to call out which engine failed at my airline. Rather, we call "Engine Failure," and watch the flying pilot like a hawk to make sure he is making the correct inputs. As the flying guy, you bark out your training commands..."positive rate, gear up, bug me to the runway centerline," while my mind is always on "rudder, aileron, heading - don't sink, but don't stall!" Before you know it, in all but the heaviest of takeoffs, you are climbing away from the ground, everything is under control and the non flying pilot can start cleaning up the mess. One of the biggest parts of that is BOTH PILOTS CONFIRMING what actually happened and whether you do actually have to shut one down....AND WHICH ONE?!

Looks (and sounds) to me like someone reacted out of haste and didn't follow what should be ingrained procedures. Too bad people died because of it. That last broken link in the chain is always a doozy!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.