Taking a dog on a ferry

We have been taking our dogs to France every year for the last 20 years.
We never use the kennels but leave the dog in the car.
We got our dog ready for the Brexit that was supposed to happen in March so she can go any time with us. The regulations haven’t changed from what would have been needed then.
A bit of internet research will let you know what is required. It has nothing to do with UK gov or DEFRA now. It is EU regs you need to comply with.
The biggest thing is the rabies vaccination and timing required for blood tests.
My vet is up to date with what’s required.
The problem is how we are viewed by the EU we could fall into three categories so it’s not clear from what I can see, our Pup got her PP in Feb so we should be good to go.

Pet passport is abolished from Jan 1st.
The EU have made it relatively clear, until they get any agreement with UK gov we will be a category three nation.
If your dog has a passport you need to get the dogs blood testing again by an EU certified lab to make sure it has strong enough antibodies for rabies. If yes you can travel. If no the dog needs a new rabies jab and go through the long wait for blood tests again.
This is useful

Last edited:
We have been taking our dogs to France every year for the last 20 years.
We never use the kennels but leave the dog in the car.
We got our dog ready for the Brexit that was supposed to happen in March so she can go any time with us. The regulations haven’t changed from what would have been needed then.
A bit of internet research will let you know what is required. It has nothing to do with UK gov or DEFRA now. It is EU regs you need to comply with.
The biggest thing is the rabies vaccination and timing required for blood tests. If you have not taken the dog before it will be three months minimum to get rabies jabs and blood tests done.
My vet is up to date with what’s required.
Did she vote leave or remain?

The problem is how we are viewed by the EU we could fall into three categories so it’s not clear from what I can see, our Pup got her PP in Feb so we should be good to go.
If her blood tests were not done in an EU certified lab (which was not a requirement for the pet passport, UK labs would do) she will need new blood tests.

Pet passport is abolished from Jan 1st.
The EU have made it relatively clear, until they get any agreement with UK gov we will be a category three nation.
If your dog has a passport you need to get the dogs blood testing again by an EU certified lab to make sure it has strong enough antibodies for rabies. If yes you can travel. If no the dog needs a new rabies jab and go through the long wait for blood tests again.

cheers

If her blood tests were not done in an EU certified lab (which was not a requirement for the pet passport, UK labs would do) she will need new blood tests.
Finn Pathology did the test and they are EU approved so all good, from what I am now reading the only thing that will change is a need for an ACH from a UK vet for the outbound.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.