Talk Talks Mark Hollis RIP

Mark Hollis RIP. Created beauty with his band Talk Talk and then as a solo artist.

I always mention Mark and his group Talk Talk when asked for my favourite band. It's shameful that most people are only aware of the band's early pop hits. The album Spirit of Eden is a masterpiece that has never dated.
Mark fell out with the music industry. He was not happy when they put out Natural History (greatest hits package) that ignored the band's later albums. He collated his own album Natural Order which largely ignores the singles and chronologically charts the progress of a band that is as great as any in history (in my opinion). Natural Order would be a great starting point for those who are not familiar with the band but who like the darker side of pop and electronic music.
He has been a recluse for the last 30 years, only releasing one album in his own name - it was a classic, very much in the same vein as Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.
I hope he receives in his death the adulation that he shunned it his life.
Rest in Peace Mark and thank you for the music that made the dark times beautiful.

Wow. Like a previous poster I just inhaled sharply.

Was at a Tears For Fears concert the other week and I told a mate that Talk Talk were the one band I'd kill to get tickets for if they reformed.

Blimey. Top top band and he was a genius. Beautiful voice, lucky to see him live a few times in the 80's.

Genuinely upset by this.

R.I.P Mark. Greatly missed already.

Time is Time on with a small glass it is.

Woah!

Fuck. I love Talk Talk. Been listening to their last 2 albums and his solo a lot recently.

I went to see them loads live. On one tour, in 1985 I think, me and a mate went to about 6 gigs between here and Nottingham. There was one venue on a later tour(?) in Stockport somewhere and there were only about 30 people there, if that. Was like a private show.

Here's a stub from Leeds Uni in 85.. EDIT: 86.

2d8gzdy.jpg

I'm absolutely gutted.

Thanks Mark. Rest in peace.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.