Team assessment: Debate

skybluekings

A team assessment of where we are at the moment, taking into account the possibility of Ya Ya Toure, Puyol and Ribery joining in Jan.

GK - Given is a lock.
Can't think of anyone better.

CD1- Toure.
Team Captain, therefore untouchable

CD2 - Lescott / Puyol?
We've just spent £22m for him. He's one of the very few left footed central defenders in football.
Rumors are of bringing in Puyol who would be expecting a starting spot because he'll rather be on Barca's bench if his spot wasn't guaranteed anymore there, than to be on City's bench. So then what, how do you bench a £22m England international in Lescott to play Puyol. Puyol may be better than Lescott...but what's the point then in bringing him in when he too won't be cheap.

RB - Zabaleta / Richards
Zabaleta has rightfully beaten out Richards for this spot. Richards lacks basic ball control and crossing ability to compliment his natural physical skills. Zabaleta's recent performances have been on the level to get him his first call up to the Argentine national team. Richards is well documented to be very low down the pecking order to Johnson and even Brown. Richards rumors are that he will ask to leave which means a new addition to RB may be possible (Lahm). Most likely whoever it is won't be cheap, which puts Zab's position at risk just when he beat out Richards.

LB - Bridge / Sylvinho and to a lesser extent Lescott
Bridge's play of late has been improving remarkably and I haven't seen anything to warrant him being replaced. Which is probably why we haven't seen Sylvinho in a game yet (another Berti?). No talk / rumor of another left back coming in but if Puyol come in then Lescott moving to LB may be an option. Lescott however, may not be too keen on this as his chance at caps for England are at CD and not at LB where Cole is rock solid. Furthermore, I can't see Lescott deliering crosses or making attacking runs like Bridge does. Bridge therefore is pretty much in the clear.

RM - SWP / Bellamy / Weiss
SWP has had the benefit of lack of competition for RM this season. Weiss is not ready yet and for all his tricks and ability he has still alot of work to do to deliver the final ball that SWP has been able to produce. A reshuffle of the midfield can only present Bellamy moving to the RM to allow Robinho or if it does happen Ribery on their preferred left side. bellamy IS class and is on form. Moving him to the right would free up the left side and allow 2 strikers in the team as well.

DM - De Jong / Barry / possibly Ya Ya
By all account Ya Ya seems to be regarded as a, for lack of a better term, "world class" DM. He plays DM for Barcelona and attacking midfield for Ivory Coast. This dual role means that in attack he has more to offer than both De Jong and Barry. He would be the choice for DM IF he did come (according to media speculation) in January. Presently what we do have is De Jong and Barry and if based on the last game and this season, I would have to say that De Jong is our best DM. If we, in using 1 DM and 1 CM, have to choose between Barry and De Jong then its Barry who would lose out. De Jong has a current pass % or over 90% for all games and a very high 'win ball' % as well. Much more effective than Barry.

CM - Ireland / Barry / Ya Ya
Ireland on form is class. His play from last season made his player of the year and a candidate for Young Player of the year in the PL. Ya Ya can also play in this role and Barry to a lesser extent based on the Villa game because Barry didn't create much for City. The introduction of Ireland in that game changed that dynamic and Ireland constantly looked for the through ball to Ade when he came on, eventually producing it and resulting in the tying goal. If Ya Ya does come and is used as a CM then its Ireland and Barry who lose out.

LM - Robinho / Bellamy / possibly Ribery
On form, Bellamy is the pick. But we all know that Robinho too is class. Top scorer in his 1st season for City in a physical league showed his adaptability and quality. Bellamy would have the edge on Robbie because Robbie protects himself from injury by avoiding the hard tackle. Bellamy would tackle his grand mother if he had too :) Personally I don't rate Ribery. Look at how much France have struggle in the WC campaign. Robinho on the other hand has been invaluable to Brazil. Playing Bellamy would mean Bellamy moving to the RM and Robbi at LM. If Ribery did come, it would mean Robbie has left for Barcelona and there's no way you spend £65m (reported price) on a player to have him on the bench. £65m? Why pay that when there's little of no sell on value from £65m. If Ribery did come then its SWP who would suffer as Bellamy would move to the right as the in form player.

If Ribery doesn't happen and Robbie does go to Barcelona it open up the left side to Bellamy and leaves SWP at RM BUT Bellamy has never been fit for an entire season. This would mean we have to have quality cover. Robbie wouldn't be allowed to leave unless we did have someone to replace him even as good as Bellamy has been.

Striker1 - Tevez
Tevez is like have a defender in attack. In my opinion he's our 1st line of defense because as we all know, he chases down the down when we lose it in attack. He is very important to the team, for his energy and shooting passing ability. Can't really drop Tevez based on the strikers we have at City.

Striker2 - Adebayor / Santa Cruz
Ade is the on form striker and Santa Cruz is a "good striker" coming back from long term injury. Santa Cruz has to understand that it would take injury or absence to get a start on the team. His Villa performance didn't really show alot so we just have to trust in Hughes that he will get the best out of him.

That's the team situation as I see it. There is a real feeling of credibility behind the Ya Ya Toure / Puyol move because for one, Ya Ya is the brother of Kolo and Kolo will have weight in swinging this deal. In an interview on Fifa.com Ya Ya said that his brother is his idol and he hoped one day they could play together in the same team.

As with Puyol. Latest reports have been that Puyol is stalling on signing a new extended contract (expires in 2010) with Barcelona. They have given him until Jan 2010 to make his mind up. If he wanted to stay, then this wouldn't even be an issue, so it does give credibility to the rumors.

A switch deal would make sense as Robbie would get to play for what he considers as the best team in the world and offer Kompany a shot at making the team there too because at City with De Jong and Barry and possibly Ya Ya...no chance.

I do see a deal in Jan happening and its may mean that some hard decision are ahead for Hughes.

Vitek said:
nice read..but you forgot about kompany?

I couldn't see a place for him with De Jong and Barry in the team. More credibility of him going to Barcelona than him being in the City team at present. Ireland and Kompany cause problems in midfield with Ireland being more important to the team than Kompany at the moment.

Also its a WC year and De Jong and Barry both need to get game time. Not sure but I don't think Belgium has made the WC.

skybluekings said:
Vitek said:

I couldn't see a place for him with De Jong and Barry in the team. More credibility of him going to Barcelona than him being in the City team at present. Ireland and Kompany cause problems in midfield with Ireland being more important to the team than Kompany at the moment.

Also its a WC year and De Jong and Barry both need to get game time. Not sure but I don't think Belgium has made the WC.

It's all about opinions of course, and my opinion is that Kompany is a top top player. He gets in my first choice starting line up ahead of both Ireland and De Jong. He could also prove invaluable when Toure departs for the ANC, as he is also a top quality centre half. More chance of getting in Barcelona's starting line up than City's? Bold statement that considering Barca won the treble last year, and we've won bugger all for over thirty years.

I think you've forgotten just how good Kompany was last year for us!!
For me he was second behind Ireland for Player Of The Year and will be a big part in City's success in the future.

Vitek said:

Agreed, you did forget about Vincent.

Check out his performances against the top clubs first half of last season. This guy gives us loads of options in defence and midfield. He can play more advanced than De Jong in midfield which puts SI under pressure in the current formation.
He is class.

The top teams are those where you look at the bench and see nothing but strength, so adding to the squad in January is a welcome move but not one that necessarily sees people having to leave to accommodate them. We certainly need more height (could be sorted by Kompo?), a creative foot in midfield so that we don't have to keep heaping pressure on Ireland, and top priority has to be a genuine right back that can defend, has mobility and can provide an attacking threat.

But I get a growing sense that we might be looking for another "statement" signing in January!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.