Technical problems

Ric

Administrator
As you can tell, we've been having technical problems again tonight with the sheer volume of people on the site. We're working hard to fix the issues, apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Ric

good luck Ric, hope you get it sorted. Ive a feeling the next 7 days could be quite busy with both Bluemooners, WUM's and opposition fans flooding the board. I'll be needing my bluemoon fix methinks or should that be hope ;o)

Ric said:
As you can tell, we've been having technical problems again tonight with the sheer volume of people on the site. We're working hard to fix the issues, apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Ric
Its only gonna get worse. Lets face it 1000 odd on citys best forum aint that many compared to what it could rise to. An all you insular people saying "ban registrations" or "get rid of the guests" are missing the point. WE are going places and people want to be a part of it. Hope it can get sorted, we need an independent voice, but lets not pretend we can keep this forum a little clique for the oldest/longest members. We need to be able to grow with the club and what is going to become a worldwide fanbase. If Bluemoon doesnt do it then somebody will. Good luck, and I sincerely mean that. Just wish I was an IT wiz and could help.

pbibs said:
Ric said:

Cheers,
Ric
Its only gonna get worse. Lets face it 1000 odd on citys best forum aint that many compared to what it could rise to. An all you insular people saying "ban registrations" or "get rid of the guests" are missing the point. WE are going places and people want to be a part of it. Hope it can get sorted, we need an independent voice, but lets not pretend we can keep this forum a little clique for the oldest/longest members. We need to be able to grow with the club and what is going to become a worldwide fanbase. If Bluemoon doesnt do it then somebody will. Good luck, and I sincerely mean that. Just wish I was an IT wiz and could help.

Excellent post, but on the other side of it, this forum has been going for years and has garnered a fantastic rep for a reason! However, as has been said, there ARE going to be WUMs, ITKs, idiots and genuine fans flooding the board.

The question is, how do you separate the wheat from the chaff without great difficulty?

Maybe board activation codes sent to genuine e-mail addresses?

I don't know, but at least it keeps the board open as Ric wants.

As Ric alluded to, the problem is to do with the amount of people all posting at the same time.

To be honest, the forum software just isn't built to deal with 100 posts a second (as what happened after the Tevez announcement). It also does not help that the server process that runs the forum has some inefficiencies in it, and our server is now running at 100% CPU usage, constantly.

I will be working on the forum and server throughout the night, up until about 6 or 7 in the morning, as this is when the volume of users drops, and I start changing some code and configurations. For the users who are on overnight, there may be very small interruptions to the forum (though for a maximum of 60 seconds at a time, nothing like the crash before).

Concerning the long downtime before; we actually crashed the server hard enough that me and Ric were convinced that there was a hardware error, and we had melted the hard disk. Luckily, this wasn't the case, and the server restarted after the fourth or fifth try. So, well done to all, that was a proper hard crash :)

We currently have a myriad of problems and we will be sorting them out one by one. There will be no quick hacks, the focus is on the long term maintainability and reliability of the forum and the server. One of the current problems is that we are constantly firefighting issues, which does not give us enough of a chance to work on the overall problems. Just keeping the site online, fast, clean and compatible is becoming harder as the userbase grows. Nobody is giving up though, and everybody is committed to making the site better.

pbibs is correct. The club is going to inherit more and more fans, as is this site. We must now work to revitalise the site and become a bit more professional. By this, I mean in the efficiency of the server/forum, and not the community (shit posts still accepted :)

Expect Ric to make some sort of announcement on Friday how we are going about this. For now, I ask that you bear with the possible interruptions tonight, and I'll try to get it fully stable again before we sign Terry, Lescott, Adebayor, Eto'o, Ronaldo, Kaka, Rooney and Messi tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Damocles

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.