Tennis Thread

Just doing a bit of googling and something I had not realised however (and I had not seen this reported) is that she's been quitting in a lot of matches, which seems strange. Wimbledon this year was obviously very high profile, but I am surprised to see that was not a one off. Look at her last 12 months:

Roehampton Sept 2019 - Retired in the QF
Roehampton again 2019 - Lost in QF
Minsk November- L in QF
India December - Retired in R16
India December - Won in Final
Glasgow February - Retired in R32
Sunderland Feb - L in Final
Nottingham June - L in R64
Nottingham June - L in QF
Wimbledon June - Retired in R16
San Jose August - L in R32
Pennsylvania August - Retired in QF
Chicago August - L in Final

Retired 5 times in 13 tournaments. Seems odd.

Just doing a bit of googling and something I had not realised however (and I had not seen this reported) is that she's been quitting in a lot of matches, which seems strange. Wimbledon this year was obviously very high profile, but I am surprised to see that was not a one off. Look at her last 12 months:

Minsk November- L in QF

Interesting. She has only been training as a pro athlete for a very short period of time so I hope that trend (?) does not continue.
She is truly amazing.

Not entirely true it is a cheap sport to begin with however to succeed you need expensive coaching and have to tour the country playing in tournaments that is before international events etc
Excellent to play though you can join Wythenshawe for £20 however more expensive clubs in Wilmslow and Bramhall are only around £180 per year
Get playing it’s great
It’s a great sport for old people too, physically and mentally. As is the table version ;-)

Minsk November- L in QF

Maybe she has been struggling to both physically and mentally to conclude games/tournaments?

What i saw at Wimbledon suggested there may be/have been anxiety/hyperventilation issue's and during last nights final i witnessed her using calming methods,most notably blowing on her hand,throughout the duration.

So,perhaps last nights incredible achievement was a huge turning point beyond the obvious? Here is hoping she goes from strength to strength!

Maybe she has been struggling to both physically and mentally to conclude games/tournaments?

What i saw at Wimbledon suggested there may be/have been anxiety/hyperventilation issue's and during last nights final i witnessed her using calming methods,most notably blowing on her hand,throughout the duration.

So,perhaps last nights incredible achievement was a huge turning point beyond the obvious? Here is hoping she goes from strength to strength!
Yeah sports psychology is massive nowadays, and I saw quite a few Olympians and Paralympians shout out their psychologists in interviews in the summer. I imagine when you're a 17 year-old tennis player no-one's ever heard of, a psychologist probably isn't top of your list of team members you can afford to bring along. Obviously I say that as someone with absolutely no knowledge of tennis funding. But no doubt after her fairly successful Wimbledon, that would have been something they looked at.

Minsk November- L in QF

I read that she is very injury prone. Maybe just growing problems. Also she will now do a lot more conditioning work. You do have to be careful, though. Hingis, for example, retired quite young thru playing too much at a very young age.
Is she destined to be the Trevor Francis of tennis?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.