Tennis Thread

Whats her ranking going to be after the US open? Wasn't she something like 350 only a few weeks ago?
Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 16.30.36.png

Sat 23rd at the moment, ahead of some big names like Serena.

She would have to win a couple of big tournaments to make the WTA Finals, not like the men's where slam winnersd are guaranteed a place.

If she wins Indian Wells she's probably going to the finals. It'd put her 5th or 6th with Osaka not competing.

She's 23rd now, but that's different to your position in the race to the finals, where she's 14th (the top 8 play).

Just beat me to it, she might need Indian Wells and maybe one of the smaller tournaments. Indian Wells gives you a 1000 points which I think would leave her short*.

Amazing that we're even talking about her making it.

Edit* probably won't leave her short, looking at the wrong ranking system.

Last edited:
He could, and before last night I would have said he probably will. But now I am not so sure. Last night was incredible for all sorts of reasons.

First, I have not seen Djokovic play that badly like, er, ever? And second, it's always been a bugbear for Djokovic that despite his achievements, he's never been "loved" as much as the crowds adore Federer and Nadal. But last night was different and the incredible support for him made him overflow with emotion, as you all saw.

And in his gracefully accepting defeat, and recognising the support from the crowd, it seemed like some kind of pivotal moment to me.

Remains to be seen how things will pan out, but if that was his swan-song and he never wins another now, I would not be surprised.

I think the loss was more to do with the pressure he put on himself this year to try and win the lot. I think that pressure told in the end and the occasion got to him. He was obviously taken aback by the support - the crowd cheered his missed shots at the US Open a few years back I read! I think he's got plenty left in the tank and will end up leading the way when all have hung up their racquets.

Just beat me to it, she might need Indian Wells and maybe one of the smaller tournaments. Indian Wells gives you a 1000 points which I think would leave her short.

Amazing that we're even talking about her making it.

I think 1000 would do it. She's currently 390 points behind 8th.

The points totals are very low this year, I guess it's pandemic related that people are not playing the full tour to reduce the amount of international travel.

She's playing such good tennis that another month at this level and she'll be in the WTA top 10, headed to the tour finals and have a nice seeding for Melbourne.

I think 1000 would do it. She's currently 390 points behind 8th.

The points totals are very low this year, I guess it's pandemic related that people are not playing the full tour to reduce the amount of international travel.

She's playing such good tennis that another month at this level and she'll be in the WTA top 10, headed to the tour finals and have a nice seeding for Melbourne.
Yeah you're right, I was looking at the overall rankings and not the race to the finals rankings. If she plays the same way at Indian Wells she'll make the finals.

Although Guadalajara for the finals might not be the best venue for Emma, with the way she returns serve in the thin air at altitude.

View attachment 26196

Sat 23rd at the moment, ahead of some big names like Serena.

She would have to win a couple of big tournaments to make the WTA Finals, not like the men's where slam winnersd are guaranteed a place.
Hahahahaha. Got to love the +127 number. I wonder when there was last a jump that big? Like has there EVER been a jump that big?

If I think of the big upsets previously, like Becker winning Wimbledon in 1985, at least he started with a world ranking in the 50's. I guess McEnroe may have done something similar when he reached the Wimbledon semis as a qualifier in 1977, when he had not even turned pro yet.

And now the UK press build her up to be the greatest female player.

I hope she has a good team to protect her when she loses a match as those vultures will be rapacious in their criticism.

The current US Open Women’s champion could have had a totally different path. She originally wanted to be a kayaker but her family was too poor to afford the equipment needed. Thankfully water sports’ loss was tennis’s gain, congratulations Emma Neveradacanu

Hahahahaha. Got to love the +127 number. I wonder when there was last a jump that big? Like has there EVER been a jump that big?

If I think of the big upsets previously, like Becker winning Wimbledon in 1985, at least he started with a world ranking in the 50's. I guess McEnroe may have done something similar when he reached the Wimbledon semis as a qualifier in 1977, when he had not even turned pro yet.
There have been players that have climbed 1600 places in a year but you usually find that it's pros who were injured and had dropped well down the rankings. There has probably been bigger climbs in the lower places too e.g. from rank 600 to 200 is +400. However, it'll be up there for a complete newcomer climbing into the top 25 in less than a year, less than 3 months to be precise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.