Tennis

Well, they got there in the end. First time I’ve watched a sustained period of tennis for a while and I’d forgotten the how much of the match is about mind games, when you’ve got 1 vs 1 combat out there in the arena like that. Whets the appetite for Wimbledon anyway.

Maybe because Nadal is a 13 (?) times winner there and an icon at the tournament.
Nadal and Federer are perceived as likable and classy sportsmen by the vast majority.

Whereas Djokovic is an anti-vaxxer who continuously causes controversy both on and off the court.

There is also the unfortunate truth for Djokovic, that he arrived on the scene a little late. By the time he became a beast, everyone was either team Nadal or team Federer, naturally a third player coming in and beating these guys with the biggest fan bases becomes the bad guy.
You forgot to add that he’s an incredibly poor looser who is often ungracious in defeat. Incredible player, of course, and we have been lucky to have the 3 greatest players ever all playing at the same time.

I’d say that Nadal winning 13 French Opens is one of the greatest achievements in sport. When you think of the physical effort alone to achieve that.

Hope Tsitsipas wins the final.

I really enjoyed playing tennis but can't stand watching it and a lot of the people that go to Wimbledon are wankers, my mate went many years ago and said it was "a girl's day out"

So Federer is the tennis equivalent of Liverpool
Nadal the tennis equivalent of united
And Djokovic is City
Djokovic acted very poorly last year running his own competition during the first wave of Covid when a few players including himself caught the virus. I'd say he's more like the Dippers and the Rags. We're more Martina Navratilova , she, like us, would lick any opponents.

Load of shite

Of all the things the beeb get.moaned at only spunking my liscence fee on wimbledon, golf and the boat race pisses me off.

Djokovic acted very poorly last year running his own competition during the first wave of Covid when a few players including himself caught the virus. I'd say he's more like the Dippers and the Rags. We're more Martina Navratilova , she, like us, would lick any opponents.
I was getting more at, City rocked up and spoiled the party for the big boys

If he goes on to win the French, he will be the first person in the open era to have won all the grand slam tournaments twice.
That would be some achievement seeing as only 4 players have ever won all 4 tournaments.
When you consider the greats like McEnroe, Lendl, Borg, Sampras Connors etc.all failed to win one of the grand slam events.

To his great regret, Lendl never won Wimbledon, did he? And apart from Chang and Courier, the Americans have never much taken to clay. It is incredibly difficult to win all four, especially in the same twelve month period.
Laver of course did it twice, which is properly mind boggling. But it was pre-open era.
I hated Chang for beating Edberg at Roland-Garros. Edberg's probably the most pleasing player to watch that I've seen in my lifetime. I could have watched him all day long.

To his great regret, Lendl never won Wimbledon, did he? And apart from Chang and Courier, the Americans have never much taken to clay. It is incredibly difficult to win all four
The only other person to win all 4 was Agassi in the "modern" era.
When you consider all the great tennis players down through the years, there always seems to be one tournament they cannot get to grips with.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.