Testimonials

As a kid, it must have been the 60’s my Dad took me to the real Old Trafford to watch City play United at Cricket. It kicked off outside before the match, I remember being a bit overawed by it all. Can anyone remember what the purpose of that game was?
They used to do a cricket derby every year or so back then. Also in 1910s-20s they occasionally did a Bowls Man derby too!

All banter aside, it was a fantastic turnout crowd and players alike. Scholes could still play in lower leagues even at his age, he was a brilliant player and his footballing intelligence is still there. I hope Stephen Ireland finds a club after last night, he’s still got the ability and fitness to earn a contract somewhere. He could do a job in at least League one. Fair play to the ex rag players, their rivalry is not as big as the fans but hats off to them. That’s the last nice thing I’m going to say about them this season.

Joe Hart never had one despite being at City for twelve years.

Micah Richards never had one despite ten years in the first team and fourteen years with the club.

Richard Dunne got close playing into his tenth season for us (nine years) but was sold to Villa by Hughes before he got to ten years.
Sadly I'm not sure if that's quite right. Hart may well have been contracted to us for 12 years but he was on loan at Tranmere, Blackpool, Birmingham, Torino and West Ham for good portions of that. In the end he only played 9 full seasons for us which is really pedantic and harsh but probably fair enough. Plus I think you have to consider the possibility that Hart and Pep just didn't get on. There were so many players in that 16/17 squad who weren't good enough but Pep still gave them a chance - Fernando, Navas, Clichy, etc. Hart was out the door before he really proved himself, which says to me that he was identified (rightly or wrongly) by the new management as an "ego" the dressing room could do without. I think the club wanted to burn bridges with him pretty quickly and giving him a testimonial might have buggered those plans up.

The same for Richards sadly - he only completed 9 seasons with us before spending his tenth with Fiorentina.

The last testimonial match I went to before VK's was Eric Webster's away at Stockport on 1st August 1990.

First glimpse of City after Italia 90 sent everyone football crazy.

Team was: Coton, Brightwell, Pointon, Harper, Hendry, Reid, Ward, Lake, Allen, Quinn, Heath – used subs Dibble, Seagraves, Redmond, Megson, Clarke, Beckford, Brennan, Hendry

City scorers were Heath, Clarke, Brennan and a Stockport og

Think it was the only goal I saw Clarke score in the flesh. Anyone else here go to this match?

Thanks to citytilidie website for the info above.

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/stockport-away-eric-webster-testimonial-199091/bv

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.