That water feature in Piccadilly Gardens

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I don't know what impression visitors to my home city get when they see the gardens. Oh, to wind the clock back 50 years, back to how they were back then.
Rememember all the tons of bird shit dropping from the skies from dusk? Left Manchester in 2007 - did they ever solve that problem?

As much as remembering the old gardens so fondly in the day time, once the sun went down it was a muggers paradise and had gangs of young scrotes in the arcade and taking turns robbing people who passed through the place as none of the lights worked and the police were non existant

The place will never be decent until it stops being a bus station

Gary Numan with daughter sounding good.

Rememember all the tons of bird shit dropping from the skies from dusk? Left Manchester in 2007 - did they ever solve that problem?

Ha yeah they have, although I don’t know how. I remember the bloody noise the starlings used to make. Horrible.
Had some peregrine falcons nested on some of the taller buildings to help keep the pigeon numbers down. When I used to live in the Premier Inn on Victoria Bridge St. I'd often get views of them eating their lunch on the building opposite.

As much as remembering the old gardens so fondly in the day time, once the sun went down it was a muggers paradise and had gangs of young scrotes in the arcade and taking turns robbing people who passed through the place as none of the lights worked and the police were non existant

The place will never be decent until it stops being a bus station

Exactly. You see it on all the local history blogs etc, people reminiscing about how lovely the ‘old’ gardens were.

It’s a total nonsense. I remember going through them as a kid in the 90s before the new gardens were built. They were full of piss, tramps and smackheads. Exactly as they are now, just with decaying flower beds.

People have very selective memories.

Nothing wrong with my memory yet ? I’m talking about the 60’s All the parks were well looked after in Manchester. It cost the council to employ a paid workforce to maintain the parks and the rates money went on other things.

Thats the truth of it, there is obsolete telephone lines under the garden otherwise they would build on it. We used to make a wish and throw coins in the pond bit, When the council want to regenerate an area they seem to let it go to the dogs
I remember Alexandra Pk, about a 5-10 minute walk from my house on Claremont Road. I swear that there used to be a big glass house full of exotic plants not far inside the main entrance off the Parkway, nearly opposite my old school (Bishop Bilsborrow). And, IIRC, a pitch and putt area and a bandstand. And, of course, the lake. And tennis courts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.