The 1968 title...

nixmith2

I was watching All or Nothing on Prime ep 1 and right at the beginning is a quick history of the club. Some grainy footage was shown (b/w) and I assumed that was of the 1937 title winning match, but after a few seconds I realised it was 1968! And the narration confirmed it.

My question is this: why was it so cr*p? I mean the '66 world cup stuff though older is so much clearer similarly bloody Utd winning in Europe and in colour to. Why is the footage of Citys historic win so ancient looking?

PS: is there footage existing from 1937, does anyone know? I think Amazon could have show it if it does.

I was watching All or Nothing on Prime ep 1 and right at the beginning is a quick history of the club. Some grainy footage was shown (b/w) and I assumed that was of the 1937 title winning match, but after a few seconds I realised it was 1968! And the narration confirmed it.

My question is this: why was it so cr*p? I mean the '66 world cup stuff though older is so much clearer similarly bloody Utd winning in Europe and in colour to. Why is the footage of Citys historic win so ancient looking?

PS: is there footage existing from 1937, does anyone know? I think Amazon could have show it if it does.

I know United were the featured match on Match of the Day for a change!

Some parts of the country didn't get colour tv till as late as 1973/4. Witness the footage of Sunderland v City 5th round cup replay at Roker Park in February/March 1973 was in B+W. In 1968 it was all B+W and Tyne Tees didn't seem to have to most update cameras even for those days. Hence the grainy film. BBC MOTD cameras were at Old Trafford that day even though we were leading the table going into the final game of the season. Quelle surprise !

Some parts of the country didn't get colour tv till as late as 1973/4. Witness the footage of Sunderland v City 5th round cup replay at Roker Park in February/March 1973 was in B+W. In 1968 it was all B+W and Tyne Tees didn't seem to have to most update cameras even for those days. Hence the grainy film. BBC MOTD cameras were at Old Trafford that day even though we were leading the table going into the final game of the season. Quelle surprise !
Yeah, Tyne-Tees picture quality was very poor even for the time, the MOTD highlights of the rags losing to Sunderland were much clearer but equally enjoyable, making up for having to wait until Sunday afternoon to watch City's win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.