The 2011/12 Season

I remember around February getting really annoyed about all the penalties and obviously bent decision the rags were getting. By March I was resigned to it, and in about April I remember actually laughing out loud one evening game when Ashley Young (I think it was) dived and got a penalty. Id given up on it, it had become farcical such was the level of obvious corruption with officials. And I am not one for conspiracies and agendas at all. The best achievement for us was overcoming that handicap and winning it anyway

Ashley Young got a few dodgy decisions undoutedly but so did we. Lets not turn into an agenda thread and make out we managed some high level conspiracy.

I have very mixed memories of that season and with characters like Mancini, Balotelli and Tevez we always seemed to be one punch up away from catastrophe.

At the advent of the season I did not think we would be genuine title contenders – the victories at Spurs and United made me change my mind and I remember that odd feeling of watching City and not worrying how we would perform – for possibly the first time in my life.

Some individual games stand out – 3-2 vs Spurs, 2-1 vs Chelsea and of course the 1-0 against Utd – the best atmosphere I can recall at a game.

Some less good memories too – 3-0 down at half time against Utd in the FA Cup and anticipating this would be their 6-1, losing to Arsenal and realising that, after all the hope, it was just the same old City again.

My Dad died on the morning of the West Brom home game and it always saddened me that his last memory of City would be them appearing to throw the title away at Arsenal.

Those last 6 league games were like consecutive cup games – I started feeling tense about them days in advance.

Certainly, unlike the 13/14 season, the 11/12 season was both more magical, more surreal and more anxious. Perhaps it was because of the novelty of it all but I also think it was that the narrative itself was not straightforward and there were so many sub plots.

It still feels odd over 5 years later.
Gutted about your old man mate, at least he got to see the fa cup :)

Thought it was all over after Balotelli's red card, and Arteta's great goal at the Emirates (fekkin arab ££££££)
Came out after that game just thinking it was typical of us, the wanker Tarquins taking the piss as we left wasn't pleasant (you'd think they'd hate manyoo?) but that night home to West Brom, coupled with them losing (and dropping points for the first time ever) against Wigan (unless I am messing my games up?) really made me start to believe again.

What a finale..... I'm sure I aged ten years in that 93 minutes and 20 seconds, but I wouldn't give it up for the world. Amazing.

Seriously, I don't think I've been the same since.

The whole scenario & range of emotions in the context of the times has definatly,somehow,changed me.

Thank you Sergio.

Where to start, the introduction of Sergio in the very first game, the optimism after the 5-1 at spurs, the 6-1 at scum and their fans saying youve played no one yet (lol).
West brom wasting time so bad in the 0-0 followed by the offside 1-0 defeat to sunderland in stoppage time. The stress of that 3-2 home win against spurs with mario in trouble, defoe missing a sitter and finaly that last minute penalty, thank god we had mario to take it.That defeat at arsenal and rags taunting us with that no togetherness rant and Mancini reflecting the pressure by admitting they have everything and we have nothing.A rag colleague gloating about how no ones beaten fergie at mind games yet. That fantastic run in and finally realizing we could do it after the 2-0 at newcastle. All this and losing the carling cup semi after that unfair richards handball, that third round fa cup game to scum 3-0 down and Vinnie sent off and still rallying to almost draw, exiting champs league with 10 points, trouble with Tevez. Then finally that game, that in itself encapsulated the whole season in 93.20 minutes, hope, stress, controversy and lastly unbelievable elation, this is how I remember it. Can any scum fan have ever felt the same, I very much doubt it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.