The 6-1. Was it such a good thing?

Prestwich_Blue

Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best games I've ever seen in my many years as a blue but did we perhaps do ourselves no favours by winning so emphatically?

Since then, teams have generally been terrified of us and parked double decker buses across their goals. Decisions have been going against us far more and referees seem to be treating us more harshly. Would we have been better off if we'd stayed at 1-0 or maybe just got another instead of humiliating them?

I think it was a turning point, particularly with the refs. But that day was so good I wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree that was one of the best day's ever to do them was great because they know that they will NEVER beat that score line. However helping use out in the long run maybe 1-3 or something would of been better.

However we all know that city never do it the easy way.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best games I've ever seen in my many years as a blue but did we perhaps do ourselves no favours by winning so emphatically?

Since then, teams have generally been terrified of us and parked double decker buses across their goals. Decisions have been going against us far more and referees seem to be treating us more harshly. Would we have been better off if we'd stayed at 1-0 or maybe just got another instead of humiliating them?

Yes. the fear factor that game brought about has been extremely critical to our success so far this season. Teams are terrified of our potential to hurt them and they play in half a mind to attack basically. This allow us to play our game and to attack with our array of attacking talent. One example will be against spurs next week. You can see their philosophy of all out attack has been very successful. But they will stuck in two-minds because they know that another 6-1 might happen if they leave too much space for us out back and they will play in a much more constrained manner, which would only help us as we are making them play away from their strength in attack. I think the spurs defense is shite. Their midfield is amazing but we should be able to score against that defense.

It was a great thing.

I remember Noel Gallagher saying before the game that he'd like a draw in a way because then there won't be too much pressure on us. However we handled the "pressure" quite well. We won the next five games after the derby. It's only at the end of November when we started to drop points. We could handle teams parking the bus such as Norwich, Wolves and Newcastle.

Having said that you may have a point if you are talking more specifically about our away form. In the league away from home since the derby we've played five games and haven't really played that well in any of them. Games such as QPR, Liverpool, West Brom and Sunderland. We've certainly not maintained the standard we set Utd, Bolton even Fulham etc (despite the draw we were brilliant in the first half).

It's fair to say we've not been blessed with a lot of luck with refereeing decisions but I'm a firm believer it'll even itself out over the course of the season.

+40 goals = extra 1pt, we've scored 35 in all competitions since the 6-1 and thats not including the 6 against the rags, sure we wont roll every team over but we should have enough quality to see us over the line.

It certainly made teams sit up and take note, but if you can beat the best by that score, you can do anything. It's up to us to rise to the challenge of teams parking the bus I suppose, and despite the lead being marginal, it's credit to us to be taking on that challenge, and still being top despite the current dip in form we are in.
Soon, someone will get another spanking like that as the team will once again click into place, hopefully whilst Yaya is away so we know we aren't solely dependent on him. But yes, it was a beautiful thing. I watched it again on Friday, pissed up and I lived every single goal like it was the first time I saw it. I've watched it that many times now infact that i've found myself not watching the goals, but watching more and more reactions of fans behind the net we scored 5 in. There were some serious double face palms happening that day. Its hilarious!

Whenever United win easily, so many people say it's because teams roll over in front of them.

Now we put 6 pass the rags and teams park the bus in front of us?

Can't have it both ways.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.